Refridgerate Fondant Cakes?

Decorating By KAMI_Cakes Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 10:34pm by Kaykaymay

KAMI_Cakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 8

I see on shows like Cake Boss and others that bakeries store their cakes in a refridgerator after finishing the decoration of the cakes. When we store a cake in a fridge, the cake sweats which can ruin the cake especially when using black on white. Are they using a special fridge to store their cakes in? I would really like to know how to properly store cakes that have perishable ingredients. Please help a newbie!

7 replies
artscallion Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 8

You can better deal with condensation once you understand the science of it...(I give this lesson once a week here, at's my mission)

Cakes do not sweat. The moisture you see is not coming from the cake...or from the fridge. It is coming from the humidity in the warm air outside of your fridge, condensing on your cold cake when you take it out.

Water takes different forms depending on its temperature, from steam/humidity at the warm end, liquid in the middle range to solid/ice at the cold end.

When the humidity (warm/gas) in the air in your room hits the cool of your cake, the temperature changes the gas to a liquid which accumulates on the cool cake surface.

So, the cure for decorated cakes "sweating" when you take them out of the fridge is to prevent the humid air from getting to your cake. If the cake is in a sealed box when you take it out, the humid/warm/gas cannot reach the cool surface of the cake. It will hit the outside of the cool box and condense there instead, leaving your cake surface perfectly dry. The cake will be safe as it comes to room temp as long as you keep the humid air from reaching its surface.

tootie0809 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 8

Wow artscallion, that was a very interesting and informative explanation! Thanks for sharing!

KAMI_Cakes Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 8

Very helpful information. Thanks a bunch!! I know I'm a little late. Didn't realize I got a response. Didn't get any notification.

Kaykaymay Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 8

Hi all I'm new to this site and a novice cake decorator and I thank you all for being so generous with your knowledge.

artscallion thats really good info but what about tall cakes? what type of container can I use for that? I live in Trinidad and I did a pink and black fondant purse cake last week, handles included the cake measured 11 inches tall and 10 inches wide. It was so hot that day that my fondant and buttercream just started melting off!!!! I actually had to redo the fondant and the same thing started happening again. So finally I just put it in the fridge (something I never do for the reasons mentioned above) I figured it was ruined anyway. Well needless to say that worked like a charm no more runny icing. Now all i need to do is solve the condensation problem.

luddroth Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 8

Use plastic wrap around the cake -- again, all you have to do is keep the moist outside air from hitting the cold cake. Cover the tall cake in plastic wrap, and leave it covered until it's at room temperature.

artscallion Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 8

Yes, plastic wrap works fine. I also buy rolls of the very thin trash bags to place over cakes. They're great because they go on easily, can be removed easily, and don't put much weight on fragile decorations.

Kaykaymay Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:34pm
post #8 of 8

Omg! i love it. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%