8" Tall Support Question

Decorating By cinders3 Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 4:33am by cinders3

cinders3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinders3 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone, I'm making my 1st 3 tier cake ( 6,9,12" rounds). I'm going to try the sps system, but am not sure how to support the middle tier because it's 8" tall.
Can I separate the 8" tall tier with a board and straws at the 4" mark and still use the sps? It'll have ganache on it and I want it to be easy to cut in enough pieces as it needs to feed 90 people. Also, do I cover it with fondant the same as I would a 4" tall cake, or do I have to do it in two pieces? I would love to have some advice so I don't mess it up.
Thank you.
Cindy

5 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 6

Yes you can. Put your 2 layer or 4 layer(torted) cake on boards that's the same size as cake like you normally would. Ice in ganache, let set a few minutes place your dowels or straws in cake. Ice in ganache the other 4" high filled cake that's also on a board. Then fondant the whole thing.

cinders3 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you for your help. So the sps that holds the top 6" tier would rest on the board supported by straws halfway through the 8" tall tier?

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 6

While typing I forgot you mentioned the sps. Cake board on sps plate (same size as cake) no dowels or straws in bottom tier needed. Two layer filled cake on board, ganached, sps, top cake on board on sps plate.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 6

I'd use a SPS plate a size smaller than the upper cake in the 8" tier, just because of where the legs are attached to the plate. You will need to put the upper tier within the 8" tier on foamcore.

From the bottom up:
cake drum
12" tier with SPS plate and leg assembly in it.

cardboard, first 9" cake with 7" SPS plate and leg assembly in it. Foamcore. Next 9" cake with 6" SPS plate and leg assembly in it.

cardboard, 6" cake.

cinders3 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:33am
post #6 of 6

Thank you for your help. This was very helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%