Fondant Mat?

Decorating By wifey2kevin Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm by xanikesmom

wifey2kevin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wifey2kevin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 16

is there such a thing? everytime i roll fondant out, i use sooooo much powdered sugar because if i don't, it will stick. is there some kinda of mat or something that doesn't stick to fondant?

15 replies
tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 16

I have Wilton's Roll and Cut mat which seems to help a lot. I use less powdered sugar after purchasing it. Also, my instructor taught me to lightly coat the mat with Crisco and that helps a lot, too.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 16

I have a mat, and it slides all over the place. (Maybe I should have taped it down.) Some people use clear plastic tablecloth material (like the stuff on the roll at Wal-Mart).
Now I just roll directly on the seamless countertop, greased with Crisco. Some people swear by cornstarch or powdered sugar, and others use shortening. I guess it's trial and error, and personal preference.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 16

I got a peice of vinyl at walmart and LOVE it (I think mommawrobin told me to. ) I cut it in peices sized to what I need. I always use crisco to keep from sticking.

And sometimes I do just use the table itsself.. easier for small stuff.. icon_smile.gif I had a mat, I hated it. It would get wrinkles and fold marks and I never could get it right. Plus it would turn up if I rolled it to store.. I never could get it to stay flat..

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 16

I had the same problems as other with the mat sliding around the table. Then I started taping freezer paper to the table which worked great but removing the tape was a pain. So I went out and purchased a large square of formica sheeting from a store that makes counter tops. Cost me about 20.00 but well worth it. I then purchased two plastic clamps to secure the formica to the top of my table. Now I just clean it up and put it in the closet when I'm not using it.

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 16

Sweet Wise, in Nashville, sells one. Here is a link telling about it. http://www.sweetwise.com/using-the-sweet-wise-quik-cover-mat-system.html

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 16

I recently purchased the Ateco 24" x 36" fondant mat and love it! It fits nicely on my countertop and doesn't slide a bit. While it doesn't eliminate the need for powdered sugar, I use very little compared to what I did with my Wilton mat or on my countertop. It has markings on it so its great for figuring out sizing. It's wonderful for doing larger cakes. I won't throw my Wilton mats away because I like to use them for covering things up to prevent drying.... but I won't be using them for rolling fondant again.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 16

I, too, have the large Ateco Mat. I believe the other one will leave imprints on it.

Lately, I haven't been using the mat, I prefer my counter and a mixture of ps/cs.

wifey2kevin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wifey2kevin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 16

thanks so much for the replies! i've not tried using crisco so i will try that next time. and i'm going to look into those ateco mats too! icon_smile.gif

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 16

If you get a Wilton Roll and Cut mat and it has wrinkles in it, fill your sink with Very Hot water and allow it to soak and soften. Lay it on the counter and keep it flat. I took a few classes with Nick Lodge when I was in Atlanta and he said to use a light coat of shortening if you were rolling out fondant to cover a large area. If you are rolling out a small piece, for a flower as an example, then use cornstarch to roll it out on. If you apply shortening then use it lightly, you only want a sheen on the mat. Also wipe the counter with a damp cloth and set the mat on top immediately and this helps hold it in place.
evelyn

CakesbyM_LC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyM_LC Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:35pm
post #11 of 16

I, too, like the Ateco mat. Though, instead of shortening I like to use a quick mist of vegetable oil! It's handy and fast. and a clean, damp counter top does make the mat stick in place!

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 16

I use a large Silpat baking mat for my working surface when making cutouts and rolling out small amounts of fondant and gumpaste. It grabs the fondant and holds it in place. I don't use it for baking at all. When finished, I wash it off, dry it and roll it up and keep in a drawer until the next time. For larger amounts of Fondant I use the blue Ateco mat with the beige edges. But the silpat is my favorite icon_biggrin.gif

MandaBrizown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandaBrizown Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:53am
post #13 of 16

For smaller, fondant peices I bought a plastic square placemat from Dollar Tree. It works great. I used to have the Wilton Roll and Cut Mat. It kept getting wrinkles in it and moving around. So I taped it to the counter and then I could not get the tap off and it ripped.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:40pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellescountrycakes

I got a peice of vinyl at walmart and LOVE it (I think mommawrobin told me to. ) I cut it in peices sized to what I need. I always use crisco to keep from sticking.

And sometimes I do just use the table itsself.. easier for small stuff.. icon_smile.gif I had a mat, I hated it. It would get wrinkles and fold marks and I never could get it right. Plus it would turn up if I rolled it to store.. I never could get it to stay flat..

Yes I do use the vinyl from Wal-Mart. You can buy it by the yard and if it does get creases in it from not rolling and storing properly (which I've done a couple of times icon_razz.gif ) you can use a blow dryer on hot setting and those "wrinkles" will fall right out. The vinyl piece will look good as new.

Like Rylan...I do use the counter top as well. I prefer the vinyl for the larger pieces of fondant so that I can lift the fondant ON the mat and turn the whole thing over onto the cake. It makes handling larger pieces of fondant much easier.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:59pm
post #15 of 16

I use vinyl for the big stuff, the wax paper for the small stuff... never use ps and more hate the mess

xanikesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xanikesmom Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm
post #16 of 16

I'm on my 3rd Wilton Roll and Cut mat. Don't let the "and Cut" part of the name fool you!! Even using a pizza cutter will leave little imprints in it and you will eventually need to throw it away and get a new one because the imprints transfer to the fondant.

Do you get the vinyl at Walmart in the fabric department? I may need to try that instead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%