She Hung Up On Me!!!! Lol

Decorating By multilayered Updated 9 Jan 2011 , 5:55pm by cakedoff

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:27pm
post #31 of 69

I had someone call the other day and as soon as I answered the phone they said "Who is this?" I replied back "Who wants to know?" It was a friend of my daughter's and she seemed a little embarassed but maybe it helped her to realize that isn't a good way to start a phone conversation. LOL....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:30pm
post #32 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I had someone call the other day and as soon as I answered the phone they said "Who is this?"

oh now THAT just pi$$es me off!

mamawrobin Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:56pm
post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I had someone call the other day and as soon as I answered the phone they said "Who is this?"

icon_lol.gif No kidding....it's beyond rude.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:58pm
post #34 of 69
Quote:

Quote:

Oh man me too.

My kid's friends always do that, especially the 18 year olds. I had to tell one of them the other day, it is Hello good morning or evening, may I speak to so and so, and then she was like oh sorry.

at least that's the way I was taught.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:12pm
post #35 of 69

Do you ever call someone and then forget who you dialed? They pick up and you still don't remember. "Uh, hi..." *please recognize my voice, please!* Never fails, they don't know you either.
I still introduce myself and hope they know who I am. But it's an awkward moment. Kinda like when you get up to go do something and then forget why you went there - it's even worse if someone is watching you stand there or waiting for you to say something.
LOL - or am I the only dingbat?

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:16pm
post #36 of 69

When someone calls me and says "who is this" I simply say "ah...you called me, who are you?"

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:21pm
post #37 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

Do you ever call someone and then forget who you dialed? They pick up and you still don't remember. "Uh, hi..." *please recognize my voice, please!* Never fails, they don't know you either.
I still introduce myself and hope they know who I am. But it's an awkward moment. Kinda like when you get up to go do something and then forget why you went there - it's even worse if someone is watching you stand there or waiting for you to say something.
LOL - or am I the only dingbat?

No, it's not just you. I do it ALL the time icon_redface.gif I mostly do business with the same group of people, so I always just say, "Oops, who was I calling for?" They usually just laugh and make a joke about how it's early/late/lunchtime/Monday, etc to try to excuse me, and by the end of that I finally remember!

CakeMakar Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:44pm
post #38 of 69

Glad to know. icon_biggrin.gif Thanks.

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:51pm
post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephW

If she has the nerve to call back, then I would tell her the price has gone up! Then mark it up considerably.

Amen to that!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:04pm
post #40 of 69

I think the next time someone calls with a request for a 'simple' cake ask them to define what 'simple' to them means because there is no such thing as a 'simple' cake. All cakes take expertise and time and sometimes the most simple looking cakes turn out to be the most complicated to produce. And then say 'so what I think you mean is what can I do for the budget you have, correct? Why not come in for a tasting and we can discuss your options?"
I always found that when I could get a potential bride in the door at the bakery, she was hooked by the cake and we could discuss her needs then. The budget invariably increased accordingly!

indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:15pm
post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

I think the next time someone calls with a request for a 'simple' cake ask them to define what 'simple' to them means because there is no such thing as a 'simple' cake.

I've actually told people, "You're not allowed to use the word 'simple' to describe a wedding cake unless you've actually made one."

pinky73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky73 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:18pm
post #42 of 69

Oh dear, I feel that I have to chime in here...I work as the only secretary at our office and it is still unbelieveable to me how people have absolutely NO basic manners or a basic grasp on civility. I get the ol "who's this" in that irritating, indignant tone of voice at LEAST once a week, usually more often. Unfortunately I am not allowed to reply with anything like what I WANT to say, so I just repeat my greeting, with which I had already identified my office and name,,,but the idiot calling never pays attention to that. IF the caller wants to speak with someone and they aren't in the office at the time, I always give two options, either sending them to voicemail or I can take their name and number...but 9 times out of 10, the caller is irritated that the person isn't sitting around waiting for their call and instead of leaving a message, they try to argue with me about why the person isn't there. It's ridiculous. GOd forbid if I said anything back...I've be called rude and MUCH worse when I am literally asking to help the caller. It's completely irrational.
Anyway, I know the bloodboiling frustration that comes when people are so rude on the phone...I have never and would never treat anyone with such disrespect...but these people are so entitled or simply don't care about other people's feelings.
NO cake for her...ever.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:29pm
post #43 of 69
Quote:

Quote:

I think the next time someone calls with a request for a 'simple' cake ask them to define what 'simple' to them means because there is no such thing as a 'simple' cake.

I've actually told people, "You're not allowed to use the word 'simple' to describe a wedding cake unless you've actually made one."

Exactly!! LOL icon_lol.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:41pm
post #44 of 69

Ooooooh. Another pet peeve. One lawyer calls the office from speaker phone, which I HATE. In my sweetest voice, I say, "I'm sorry, but I can't hear you," until he takes me off speaker phone. If you can't give me your undivided attention, don't call me.

pinky73 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:46pm
post #45 of 69

cutthecake: AGREED!!!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:51pm
post #46 of 69

I hate to answer the phone because of all the knuckleheads who call.
Another egotistical lawyer:
1st call of the week, he called me Sweetie. I gave him that one, but I didn't like it.
2nd call of the week, he called me Sweetie. My blood was boiling.
3rd call of the week, I politely told him to please stop calling me Sweetie, as it was inappropriate and I didn't like it. He had the audacity to complain to someone else in the office that I reprimanded him for it. You think he'd know better, as a lawyer and all.
Then there's yet another lawyer who calls me by the name of the secretary who left the office over 5 years ago. He has a good memory for names, but not facts, I guess. Not a good quallity in a lawyer.

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:53pm
post #47 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Ooooooh. Another pet peeve. One lawyer calls the office from speaker phone, which I HATE. In my sweetest voice, I say, "I'm sorry, but I can't hear you," until he takes me off speaker phone. If you can't give me your undivided attention, don't call me.

DITTO! I hate speaker phone--it tells me that I am so unimportant to you that you can't take 3 seconds, stop what you are doing, and talk to me like a civilized person.

And anyone that calls me with obvious bathroom function sounds in the background gets an automatic disconnect and from then on I will only communicate via email. I tell my children that these people were Raised By Wolves. thumbsdown.gif

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm
post #48 of 69

I must say, sometimes I have to make phone calls (from my cell) while my kids are in the bathtub. Not business calls! Just those annoying calls to utility companies or whatever. I'm always aware of the echo and water sounds they will hear and am amused that they might think I am calling whilst bathing. icon_smile.gif

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:04pm
post #49 of 69

I was somewhat intrigued at the speaker phone comment. My city has now implimented rules of no hand held devices while driving, so we are constantly answering phones to people on speaker phones. Yes it is not fun to answer a call with background noise but in my case it is unavoidable.

mamawrobin Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:05pm
post #50 of 69
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly!! LOL icon_lol.gif

I absolutely HATE the use of the word "simple" when referring to a cake...especially a wedding cake. To make a flawless cake with no flowers or decorations to hide any trace of a mistake is no where NEAR simple. LOL... And Debi...I totally agree with your response...think I'm going to use that the next time I have a request for a "simple" wedding cake.

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:06pm
post #51 of 69

I know the word "simple" always makes me laugh. There really is no such thing!! If it's so simple why can't they make the cake lol !!!!!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:39pm
post #52 of 69

As a kid I had a bad habbit when anwering the phone...

<ring, ring, ring>
Me: Hello, who's this?
Caller (usually an Aunt or Uncle): "Haley, who taught you to answer the phone like that"?
Me: <Dead silence..Thinking "how do they know it's me"..more silence.. "MOM the phone is for you"--right in there ear!

LOL Hey I was 6!!! LOL

I had a lady call me yesterday and wanted a small "simple" cake to feed 12 people. Then wants to know if she can come over to taste several flavors of the cake! LOL

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 1:32am
post #53 of 69

I've gotten a few phone calls where I pick up and say hello. Then the caller responds with hello and just pauses. I'm like "you called me! What did you need?" icon_biggrin.gif

But then that also brings me to the issue of calling to order a pizza. EVERYTIME, I call and they answer with "Thanks for calling Domino's (or whatever place)" Then I have to say "hi, I'd like to order a pizza". Well obviously I'm calling to order a pizza! Sometimes I wish they would just answer their phones with "Thank you for calling Dominos, is this going to be for pick up or delivery?" Let's just cut right to the chase huh?

Or am I just being weird?

indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:43am
post #54 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Sometimes I wish they would just answer their phones with "Thank you for calling Dominos, is this going to be for pick up or delivery?"

The pizza place we use does that.

When I was in customer service management, I always trained our receptionists to answer the phone with "XYZ Company, how may I transfer your call?" This helped deter people from jumping in and telling HER their problem. However, we always had the morons who jumped in with their problem anyway, forcing her to stammer and try to interrupt them with, "Ma'am ... ma'am ..... I can't help you. How may I transfer your call. No ma'am, I can't help you, I'll have to transfer you to that dept."

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:50am
post #55 of 69
Quote:

Quote:

Yep.....limited vocabulary used for description sometimes....and sometimes people think they are doing you a favor if you don't have to come up with lots of decorations....if they only knew.....

CakeMakar Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:04pm
post #56 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

I've gotten a few phone calls where I pick up and say hello. Then the caller responds with hello and just pauses. I'm like "you called me! What did you need?" icon_biggrin.gif

But then that also brings me to the issue of calling to order a pizza. EVERYTIME, I call and they answer with "Thanks for calling Domino's (or whatever place)" Then I have to say "hi, I'd like to order a pizza". Well obviously I'm calling to order a pizza! Sometimes I wish they would just answer their phones with "Thank you for calling Dominos, is this going to be for pick up or delivery?" Let's just cut right to the chase huh?

Or am I just being weird?

Having worked at Domino's for 4 years....it all depends on who answers & who the manager was. With the owner I trained under, he thought it was rude to answer that way. It's not personal, just a machine automated greeting. Granted, you don't need to form a relationship with the order taker. But we'd say, "Hello, thank you for calling Domino's, this is _____. how may I help you?" The ones who answered just with "pick up or delivery" were always the punk teenagers who usually got fired after a couple weeks. Some people aren't calling for pizza - some to check on their order, or to talk to a manager, or it's the driver calling in. Many times people called just to price out orders or ask about products.

pinky73 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:24pm
post #57 of 69

Indydebi: I get that dilema on a daily basis, multiple time a day and it's really maddening. I love your idea about asking to transfer the call but unfortunately we are a public entity and I have been instructed to go above and beyond to listen to them, be extra patient, etc. Of course I get the brunt of the nasty, hate filled complaints and have absolutely no power to address the issue, by the time one of the superintendents talks to them, they've calmed down. Even though I tell them, "For that, you will need to speak with the water department, just a minute while a transfer you"...they don't really want resolution of their problem, they just want to chew the butt of the first person who was unlucky enough to answer the phone...which is always me. I love when we get angry calls about cable rates or the phone company...which we have absolutely nothing to do with...but since those things exist within the city limits, people think they can call us and argue. Just because McDonald's operates in our town, doesn't mean that we have control over what they serve or charge...but that hasn't stopped some functional idiots from calling me to try to argue otherwise. And they like to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about. uuuuggghhhh...... Hijack over.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:49pm
post #58 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky73

Oh dear, I feel that I have to chime in here...I work as the only secretary at our office and it is still unbelieveable to me how people have absolutely NO basic manners or a basic grasp on civility. I get the ol "who's this" in that irritating, indignant tone of voice at LEAST once a week, usually more often. Unfortunately I am not allowed to reply with anything like what I WANT to say, so I just repeat my greeting, with which I had already identified my office and name,,,but the idiot calling never pays attention to that. IF the caller wants to speak with someone and they aren't in the office at the time, I always give two options, either sending them to voicemail or I can take their name and number...but 9 times out of 10, the caller is irritated that the person isn't sitting around waiting for their call and instead of leaving a message, they try to argue with me about why the person isn't there. It's ridiculous. GOd forbid if I said anything back...I've be called rude and MUCH worse when I am literally asking to help the caller. It's completely irrational.
Anyway, I know the bloodboiling frustration that comes when people are so rude on the phone...I have never and would never treat anyone with such disrespect...but these people are so entitled or simply don't care about other people's feelings.
NO cake for her...ever.

I work in a customer service call center and have heard it ALL!!! Some people are SOOOO Rude! I've been in customer service for almost 11 years and at times it's very frustrating!! aaarrghh! icon_cry.gif
After reading everyone's posts in this thread, I have laughed out loud so many times!! I sooo agree that people have lost their manners!

I once had a sales rep that called (my first year in cust serv) that cussed me up one side and down the other. Very foul language was used. He was ranting and raving and I couldn't get a word in edgewise. I placed him on mute and got my supervisor as she walked by. She heard him and then quickly got our manager. The manager took my phone call and quickly shut him up. He later had to call me back and apologize!!! JERK!!!! icon_evil.gif I soon learned how to handle those calls.... The manager told me for future reference to say "Sir, if you can't stop yelling and using foul language, I will hang up."
Needless, to say, his regional manager was notified and he was in major trouble. He was a known troublemaker and left the company within the year! Good riddance! icon_wink.gif

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:06pm
post #59 of 69
Quote:

I had someone call the other day and as soon as I answered the phone they said "Who is this?" I replied back "Who wants to know?" It was a friend of my daughter's and she seemed a little embarassed but maybe it helped her to realize that isn't a good way to start a phone conversation. LOL....

When I get those I tell them, "You called my house! Tell me who you are!"

I love it when they don't want to tell me because I can have a little power trip and tell them that if they want to talk to anyone here they've got to get through me and so far, I'm not impressed! One of the simple pleasures in life. icon_biggrin.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:25pm
post #60 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

he called me Sweetie.

I always respond to this "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you knew my name. I'm Linda." icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%