I Have To Wonder About Some Bakeries. . .

Decorating By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 2:21pm by cakesdivine

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 12

I said this in another post about cookies, but I LOVE CC!! I've never met a group of people that are so eager to help another fellow baker. Whether it's decorating advice, baking advice or business advice. This site is such a valuable resource! And such talent!

It just has to make me wonder about all those bakeries I hear about that don't have good products. Why isn't the owner trying to make their stuff better? All they have to do is google "better tasting cake" and Cake Central is practically the first thing that comes up! I can't imagine trying to start/run a cake/cookie business without thoroughly combing through this site for all the advice and tips you can collect.

11 replies
leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 12

Ah, Rose, some people already know everything! ::insert evil grin::

Elcee Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

It just has to make me wonder about all those bakeries I hear about that don't have good products.

Actually, not to be contrary or anything, but I only hear about bad bakeries here on CC. I have never personally had anything awful from a bakery. Now I have seen some truly horrible decorating but that a whole other post icon_twisted.gif.

catlharper Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 12

Sadly it's all about perspective. I've heard RAVE reviews about Magnolia Bakery in NYC and couldn't wait to try a cupcake from there...I mean, people wait around the block to buy these so they have to be good, right? Nope, dry, tasteless...ugh..made me want to buy up a spot and open up my own bakery in NYC 'cause obviously someone needs to show them what GOOD baking tastes like! LOL! So, yup, perspective.

We have a bakery here in town, not 4 miles from my house, and while I've never had a cake from there I have tried their desserts and cupcakes (I'm hard headed, what can I say) and none of them tasted fresh or flavorful.

Maybe it's just the Cake Snob in me but...I think quality is a matter of taste.
Cat

tesso Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

It just has to make me wonder about all those bakeries I hear about that don't have good products.

Actually, not to be contrary or anything, but I only hear about bad bakeries here on CC. I have never personally had anything awful from a bakery. icon_twisted.gif.

consider yourself very very lucky!!! there is nothing worse then looking forward to a good slice of cake and getting crumbly sandpaper instead.

sweet_honesty Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:07am
post #6 of 12

Taste is such a subjective thing. It's not necessarily that they think they know everything...maybe they just like how their cake tastes.

BeanCountingBaker Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:12am
post #7 of 12

Taste is subjective, that's for sure. I think there are so many people who don't bother with baking that any cake seems okay to them.

ArtsyLady Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:15am
post #8 of 12

A friend of mine recently had a cupcake from a very popular cupcake shop in town... and she was severely disappointed. She'd heard all this hype about how amazing and delicious the product was. When she finally decided to try a cupcake (at $12 a piece) she said the cake was dry and the icing was gritty and way too sweet. They offer about thirty different flavors. I only have four flavors available right now but that's because I refuse to sell anything that isn't excellent. I want my cakes to taste as good as, or even superior to, the way they look. Meaning that if it's a "wow" cake design, it better be a "super wow" cake taste. icon_smile.gif

BakingGirl Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:19am
post #9 of 12

You know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and people's taste is diverse. One person's dry might be another's perfect. If bakeries have lines around the corner and are able to charge $12 for a cupcake they must clearly be doing something right. Unless the product is good these places won't last once the hype dies down.

ArtsyLady Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:33am
post #10 of 12

Honestly, I think the problem is that people are so used to "grocery store" quality cakes, that anything fresh baked tastes good to them, whether it's moist or not. I agree about the hype though. Once the newness of the place wears off, I'm wondering if that price tag will last. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:37am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyLady

Honestly, I think the problem is that people are so used to "grocery store" quality cakes, that anything fresh baked tastes good to them, whether it's moist or not. I agree about the hype though. Once the newness of the place wears off, I'm wondering if that price tag will last. icon_smile.gif

Agree with this to a point. I think people eat from the same old bakery out of habit, rather than really evaluating the taste.

Co-workers bought me a birthday cake from what they considered THE premier bakery in town. I took one bite and said, "Yep .... tastes like every other bakery cake I've ever eaten." (Nothing special ... nothing unique .... I threw the rest of the piece away.)

The ONLY bakery in my hometown has been there since before I was born and I'm 51. You wouldn't believe how people rave about this place, and I think their cakes are worse than assembly line grocery store cakes.

I know someone who had a very small intimate wedding reception and just picked up a small cake from this bakery. It was so bad, they stopped the celebration and rant out to walmart to get a cake.

Now when a WALMART cake is considered an improvement ....... ! icon_eek.gif Well ..... nuff said! icon_rolleyes.gif

cakesdivine Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:21pm
post #12 of 12

Being the caker in the family I never get a cake on my own birthday unless I baked one myself. So on my 45th birthday last year (46 now), my sister ordered a custom cake for me from Andre's in Houston. This is suppose to be the creme of the crop of bakeries in Houston and always has rave reviews. The cake was beautiful so I will give that to the decorator. She ordered a dark chocolate cake with generous BC under the fondant. Well it looked like a chocolate cake but there was absolutely no chocolate flavor to it and if was as dry as the Sahara desert! No BC at all only piping gel under the fondant and the fondant was super thick about 3/8 of an inch thick! It tasted like Wilton Fondant. My 6 year old niece took one bite and then spit it out on her plate and exclaimed "Is this a joke?". We all put the cut pieces with only one bite out of them back in the box. So much for my special day cake...come to think of it, I haven't had much luck as an adult with cakes on My special days. My wedding cake was inedible too. Nobody ate it, and I had to throw out about 250 servings worth of cake. Again it was absolutely stunning but I didn't make it so it tasted horrible!...LOL! The grooms cake I did make and it was gone in 5 minutes flat. We didn't even get any because my cousin cut it before she was suppose to and served it because the wedding cake was so bad. We walked over to cut it and take a photo and it was gone! Thank goodness they got photos before the reception started icon_smile.gif

So just because a bakery has a good rep does not mean their products taste worth a flip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%