Farmers Market Setback

Business By MariaK38 Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 12:27am by myslady

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 7

I got turned down today for the fall/winter at a big local farmers market. Ugh! I guess there's already too many food vendors or something.
Does anyone know of any other markets in the Dayton, Ohio area? I've searched the internet and can't find anything, but maybe I need to search in a different way.
Thanks!

6 replies
adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 7

icon_sad.gif that sucks! I want to do my market and local bazaars here in WA...I hope it works out. You should check out bazaars too-after summer will be the season and they're fun to do icon_smile.gif

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 7

What are you trying to sell. There are a few of them.

The Second St Market (on 2nd st and webster) is a year round farmers market. It is run by 5 rivers metropark.

They have one vendor selling pies, and another one selling greek desserts, but I have not seen any cupcakes or cakes there.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 7

hi! the second street market was the one that turned me down. I sell peanut butter buckeyes and various chocolate dipped treats like cake truffles, pretzel rods, novelty cookies, peppermint sticks, etc. I decided not to do cupcakes and cookies because I saw those the last time I was there.
I'm wondering if the other vendors have a vote in saying who will come in and who won't. Maybe I'm more competition that they don't want... who knows?!
I'm in the process of trying to find some year round markets and now maybe I'll do one or two of the craft shows I did last year.
Thanks for the nice words!

myslady Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 7

i wonder if it was more of a space issue. I have only seen someone selling buckeyes there, none of the other stuff, but then again, I only go once in a while to get a piece of baklava icon_smile.gif

Maybe one of these two sites has room for another vendor:

http://www.fruitstands.com/states/ohio.htm

http://www.daytondailynews.com/l/content/oh/index/living/food/farmmarkets.html

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 7

i was going to suggest crafts fairs.

IF you are wanting to get your name out to people and generate business, you could always do a few charity events.

myslady Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:27am
post #7 of 7

I thought about craft fairs also, but as hot as it has been - chocolate and heat doesn't always get along.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%