Newbie With A Question About Fondant

Decorating By wifey2kevin Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 5:54am by hollyml

wifey2kevin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wifey2kevin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 5

i'm sure this has been asked before but how long does marshmallow fondant last? i made a cake last night and i have a ton of extra fondant. i'm making another cake in a couple weeks. thoughts?

4 replies
hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 5

It'll last that long. Roll it into a smooth ball, coat it well in shortenting and wrap it up in plastic (airtight). I'd put it in the fridge for that length of time, though it would probably be okay in the pantry too. When you're ready to use it, a few seconds in the microwave will bring it back to pliability quickly and easily. Knead the shortening in and then use the same way you would if it were fresh.

wifey2kevin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wifey2kevin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 5

great!! thanks so much! another question...fondant can go in the fridge? i didn't think you were supposed to refrigerate it.

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 5

I usually just keep it air tight at room temp.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:54am
post #5 of 5

You don't want to refrigerate a cake that's covered with fondant, if you don't have to due to perishable fillings, because you'll get condensation on the cake when you take it out and that can mess up the color or attached decorations. That's my understanding anyway.

But if you're storing a ball of fondant, wrapped in plastic, there's no reason it can't go in the fridge. It hardens, but you just have to warm it and it softens again. As I said though, it doesn't HAVE to go in the fridge. I just usually do put it there if I'm not sure I'm going to use it within a week or so. My pantry is a worse mess than my fridge; if I kept it unrefrigerated I'd probably forget I had it until I found an unrecognizable colored rock in a back corner ten years later.... icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%