Indydebi Buttercream

Decorating By Joshua_Alan Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 11:31pm by frankdiabetes

Joshua_Alan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 63

Made it for the first time last night, and overall I thought it came out really nice. Crusted up better than any other bc I've tried and it had a really nice taste to it.

My question however is, how much milk/liquid do you all usually use in it for a spreading consistency? I started with the 1/3 cup of milk and it was soooo thick I could barely move a spatula through it! I was making it for some Irish Car Bomb cupcakes (delicious recipe btw) and used Bailey's to replace some of the vanilla, but I wound up adding somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 or 6 more tablespoons of Bailey's, milk and even a touch of water to thin it out. Is it normally extremely thick or do most people start with a 1/2 cup of milk?

62 replies
pattigunter Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 63

I make a double batch each time and use a full cup of milk. Also if you heat it a little it will melt the shortning better.

Joshua_Alan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 63

Cool. Do you just warm it in the microwave for a few seconds on half power?

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 63

Did you beat the Crisco (shortening) for 15 minutes BEFORE adding any other ingredients? I do this and I think that it makes a difference in how much milk is required to give the right consistency. After I've beat my Crisco it has the consistency of sour cream and that may make a difference in how much milk I have to use. I always make a double batch and like Patti said...I use a full cup of milk...I also warm my milk (I use half and half) before adding. With this recipe I always tell people to add the LEAST amount of milk called for first and then add about 1 teaspoon at a time until you have the right consistency. That way you don't risk adding too much milk. Sometimes I have to add more than others...just add milk until you "get it right".

Joshua_Alan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Did you beat the Crisco (shortening) for 15 minutes BEFORE adding any other ingredients? I do this and I think that it makes a difference in how much milk is required to give the right consistency. After I've beat my Crisco it has the consistency of sour cream and that may make a difference in how much milk I have to use. I always make a double batch and like Patti said...I use a full cup of milk...I also warm my milk (I use half and half) before adding. With this recipe I always tell people to add the LEAST amount of milk called for first and then add about 1 teaspoon at a time until you have the right consistency. That way you don't risk adding too much milk. Sometimes I have to add more than others...just add milk until you "get it right".




I didn't, but that was because the instructions didn't call for it. I'll try that next time though. For my usual recipe I cream my butter and shortening for around 8 minutes and probably should have with this one as well.

jenbakescakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 63

Sorry to hijack your thread, but how long will this recipe be good kept at room temperature in a tupperware container? Thanks!

Joshua_Alan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbakescakes

Sorry to hijack your thread, but how long will this recipe be good kept at room temperature in a tupperware container? Thanks!




No worries, I'd like to know as well.

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 63

You bet. I have kept it for up to two weeks on the counter in an airtight container. No need to refrigerate. thumbs_up.gif

Herekittykitty Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 63

According to Mamawrobing and Indidebi, about 2 weeks in a sealed container. Mine has never lasted that long! icon_biggrin.gif


Edit: HA! Cross posting.

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Did you beat the Crisco (shortening) for 15 minutes BEFORE adding any other ingredients? I do this and I think that it makes a difference in how much milk is required to give the right consistency. After I've beat my Crisco it has the consistency of sour cream and that may make a difference in how much milk I have to use. I always make a double batch and like Patti said...I use a full cup of milk...I also warm my milk (I use half and half) before adding. With this recipe I always tell people to add the LEAST amount of milk called for first and then add about 1 teaspoon at a time until you have the right consistency. That way you don't risk adding too much milk. Sometimes I have to add more than others...just add milk until you "get it right".



I didn't, but that was because the instructions didn't call for it. I'll try that next time though. For my usual recipe I cream my butter and shortening for around 8 minutes and probably should have with this one as well.




No the instructions don't "call for it" but it's just something that I do that I think makes it even creamier and better. My grandmother use to beat the heck out of her Crisco when she made buttercream and I remember asking her why she did. She just said that it made her icing "creamier". I beat mine for about 15 minutes and honestly it doesn't even look like shortening when I'm finished with it. icon_lol.gif I also prefer using Crisco in this recipe. I've used other shortenings but Crisco does give the best results.

Herekittykitty Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:00pm
post #11 of 63

Yup. Listen to Mamawrobin. This works like a dream. thumbs_up.gif

Joshua_Alan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:00pm
post #12 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin


No the instructions don't "call for it" but it's just something that I do that I think makes it even creamier and better. My grandmother use to beat the heck out of her Crisco when she made buttercream and I remember asking her why she did. She just said that it made her icing "creamier". I beat mine for about 15 minutes and honestly it doesn't even look like shortening when I'm finished with it. icon_lol.gif I also prefer using Crisco in this recipe. I've used other shortenings but Crisco does give the best results.




Have you tried any of the hi-ratio shortenings? I've been kicking around the idea of using one of those as well.

catlharper Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:06pm
post #13 of 63

I beat the crisco for 10 mins and then added the other ingrediants and beat those for another 10 and it was VERY stiff but perfect. I kept the stiff stuff for piping and just took some out for the crumbcoat and thinned that down quite a bit to use and then took some out for the final coat and thinned it out less to make a good final coat and it was perfect. So, yes, I used more than the third cup to make the first batch..not quite half a cup tho...and it was really really stiff but that would make for really great solid shells and such decorations so I would rather thin out what I need when I need it.

LOVE IT!
Cat

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:12pm
post #14 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin


No the instructions don't "call for it" but it's just something that I do that I think makes it even creamier and better. My grandmother use to beat the heck out of her Crisco when she made buttercream and I remember asking her why she did. She just said that it made her icing "creamier". I beat mine for about 15 minutes and honestly it doesn't even look like shortening when I'm finished with it. icon_lol.gif I also prefer using Crisco in this recipe. I've used other shortenings but Crisco does give the best results.



Have you tried any of the hi-ratio shortenings? I've been kicking around the idea of using one of those as well.


I never have I know some on here do, I think when you use it, you use less than what the recipe calls for. I always use Crisco , have tryed other brands just not the same.

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:13pm
post #15 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin


No the instructions don't "call for it" but it's just something that I do that I think makes it even creamier and better. My grandmother use to beat the heck out of her Crisco when she made buttercream and I remember asking her why she did. She just said that it made her icing "creamier". I beat mine for about 15 minutes and honestly it doesn't even look like shortening when I'm finished with it. icon_lol.gif I also prefer using Crisco in this recipe. I've used other shortenings but Crisco does give the best results.



Have you tried any of the hi-ratio shortenings? I've been kicking around the idea of using one of those as well.




I did once and like I said I still prefer using Crisco with this recipe. I think that I should have used less of the hi ratio than I did after reading a thread on the subject yesterday...so if you do use a hi ratio for this recipe cut the shortening by 1/3 cup per batch of icing.

justkist Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #16 of 63

I have nevr ventured from the Wilton Buttercream recipe because I was afraid that all otehrs had to go in the fridge and I liked not needing to. So even with milk in it this doesnt go in the fridge??? Being paranoid can I use water instead of milk? I need a REALLY good crusting buttercream!!!! So far mine all squishes under fondant and is definitely not firm enough for the Viva paper trick that makes everyone elses cakes look so flawless!!!

catlharper Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:07pm
post #17 of 63

Go ahead and use milk and you can refridgerate...my 3rd of July batch is in fridge and still tastes yummy.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:34pm
post #18 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdripley

I have nevr ventured from the Wilton Buttercream recipe because I was afraid that all otehrs had to go in the fridge and I liked not needing to. So even with milk in it this doesnt go in the fridge??? Being paranoid can I use water instead of milk? I need a REALLY good crusting buttercream!!!! So far mine all squishes under fondant and is definitely not firm enough for the Viva paper trick that makes everyone elses cakes look so flawless!!!


Indydebi's buttercream does not have to be refrigerated, it can stay out for weeks[2] as long as it is in a air tight container..It is a great crusting buttercream thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif as for water in it ,I guess, but I always use milk, half-n-half and yesterday I used heavy whipping cream in [ Choc Buttercream] turned out great...

deMuralist Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:43pm
post #19 of 63

if you are afraid of the milk you could try something else that does not need to be put in the fridge but has some flavor-the Bailey's sounded like a great idea. But honestly there is so much sugar in it there is not a problem.

edited to add: doesn't sugarshack's recipe use hi-ratio shortening? It may use butter as well though, then you would get into the melting issues again.

Joshua_Alan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:45pm
post #20 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by deMuralist

if you are afraid of the milk you could try something else that does not need to be put in the fridge but has some flavor-the Bailey's sounded like a great idea. But honestly there is so much sugar in it there is not a problem.




FYI, the Bailey's was amazing icon_biggrin.gif Only thing I'd note is that it being a brown liquid you're not going to get it pure white.

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:26pm
post #21 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdripley

I have nevr ventured from the Wilton Buttercream recipe because I was afraid that all otehrs had to go in the fridge and I liked not needing to. So even with milk in it this doesnt go in the fridge??? Being paranoid can I use water instead of milk? I need a REALLY good crusting buttercream!!!! So far mine all squishes under fondant and is definitely not firm enough for the Viva paper trick that makes everyone elses cakes look so flawless!!!




This icing is perfectly safe without being refrigerated. The sugar prevents the milk from spoiling. Indydebi has owned a successful business for several years and she has said that she DOES NOT refrigerate this icing. Honestly, I don't think that she would NOT refrigerate if necessary. Doug gave a very scientific explanation as to how the sugar preserves the milk. Believe me I have made this icing 100's of times and NEVER once refrigerated it. I would make it with milk instead of water for sure.

I refrigerated a cake ONCE that I had iced with this icing and it would NOT crust. It took forever to crust after I removed it from the fridge. This icing performs MUCH better if it's kept out of the fridge. I don't ever refrigerate a cake. EVER. I don't use perishable fillings so that I don't have to. The ONLY time that I have ever had issues with a cake is when I put one in the fridge.

catlharper Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:42pm
post #22 of 63

I need just enough chocolate buttercream for filling this weekend...can you add chocolate to an already made up batch? If so please tell me what to use? I don't want to make a whole batch of chocolate buttercream for 2 cups of filling<G>

Thanx!

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:54pm
post #23 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

I need just enough chocolate buttercream for filling this weekend...can you add chocolate to an already made up batch? If so please tell me what to use? I don't want to make a whole batch of chocolate buttercream for 2 cups of filling<G>

Thanx!




Absolutely...I don't think I've ever made it any other way. I rarely use chocolate buttercream so I always add the chocolate to an "already made up batch". I use Baker's UNsweetened chocolate squares....melted and cool to lukewarm...but still 'pourable'. I add 6 ounces to each batch of icing. You will have to add extra milk because the chocolate thickens the buttercream..I add only about a teaspoon at a time so that I'm careful not to add too much. Like I said before....I love using this icing to make chocolate icing because it still behaves the same as the original. The other chocolate icing recipe that I've used was a nightmare to smooth and it didn't crust worth a ____________.
icon_lol.gif

tanu Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:00pm
post #24 of 63

Hey! does this recipe work well with any flavoring? I mean can u add a certain amount of something like caramel or fruit flavorings and it will still hold up and crust well? Im a newbie and want to try a good basic bc recipe which is easy to tweak (flavorwise). And do u use this recipe for both filling as well as piping decorations?

Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

You bet. I have kept it for up to two weeks on the counter in an airtight container. No need to refrigerate. thumbs_up.gif


catlharper Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:14pm
post #25 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

I need just enough chocolate buttercream for filling this weekend...can you add chocolate to an already made up batch? If so please tell me what to use? I don't want to make a whole batch of chocolate buttercream for 2 cups of filling<G>

Thanx!



Absolutely...I don't think I've ever made it any other way. I rarely use chocolate buttercream so I always add the chocolate to an "already made up batch". I use Baker's UNsweetened chocolate squares....melted and cool to lukewarm...but still 'pourable'. I add 6 ounces to each batch of icing. You will have to add extra milk because the chocolate thickens the buttercream..I add only about a teaspoon at a time so that I'm careful not to add too much. Like I said before....I love using this icing to make chocolate icing because it still behaves the same as the original. The other chocolate icing recipe that I've used was a nightmare to smooth and it didn't crust worth a ____________.
icon_lol.gif




Oh thank you! I have some of the bakers...was so hoping I didn't have to make a whole batch! LOL!

Cat

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:15pm
post #26 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanu

Hey! does this recipe work well with any flavoring? I mean can u add a certain amount of something like caramel or fruit flavorings and it will still hold up and crust well? Im a newbie and want to try a good basic bc recipe which is easy to tweak (flavorwise). And do u use this recipe for both filling as well as piping decorations?

Thanks!!!
I've added raspberry puree....but you'll need to adjust the amount of milk when you do this so that you don't add too much liquid. If you don't you'll not get the same crusting . If I add 1/4 cup of the puree I cut the amount of milk by 1/4 cup...etc. I would think that adding caramel would be about the same as adding chocolate...but since I've never done that I'm not really sure. I haven't done alot of "tweaking" to this recipe because it is just THAT GOOD left as it is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

You bet. I have kept it for up to two weeks on the counter in an airtight container. No need to refrigerate. thumbs_up.gif


thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Joshua_Alan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:24pm
post #27 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanu

Hey! does this recipe work well with any flavoring? I mean can u add a certain amount of something like caramel or fruit flavorings and it will still hold up and crust well? Im a newbie and want to try a good basic bc recipe which is easy to tweak (flavorwise). And do u use this recipe for both filling as well as piping decorations?

Thanks!!!




I used Bailey's in mine last night and it crusted up great.

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:46pm
post #28 of 63

This icing is so versatile. I made it last week for a cake for my hubby's friend and I subbed organic shortening (trying to limit trans fats) and added coconut extract for flavoring. It made for a delicious coconut buttercream that crusted very, very well. icon_smile.gif

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:48pm
post #29 of 63

I also warmed the milk like mamawrobin has suggested in other forums. I used warm coconut milk for my coconut buttercream.

mom2twogrlz Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:28am
post #30 of 63

Is this right???? Or does it need more milk? It seems a little thick, but I have never made buttercream before.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%