I Hate Grass

Decorating By cakegroove Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 4:36am by step0nmi

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 27

icon_mad.gif I don't think I'll do another cake with grass on it ever again. Is there some trick to this? I just can't seem to get it right. Blobby, uneven, falling over, etc. etc. Nothing consistent.

26 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 27

sometimes you have to stop and wash the tip. other than that, you're probably overthinking it. It's super fast.

cakegroove Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 27

i was thinking it should be super fast. no-brainer, nothing to it. But it is my enemy! I will take your wash the tip advice. thanks

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegroove

icon_mad.gif I don't think I'll do another cake with grass on it ever again. Is there some trick to this? I just can't seem to get it right. Blobby, uneven, falling over, etc. etc. Nothing consistent.

If it's uneven and falling over, it just makes it look more like my yard! icon_biggrin.gif

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 27

Sounds like it needs to be a little stiffer icing. Normal grass isn't even either... if it's a little uneven it will look more natural. thumbs_up.gif

snocilla Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 27

Seriously, though, in these situations, I always remind myself that nature isn't perfect. It always makes me step back and look at it as a whole instead of the individual pieces that may not act quite right.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by snocilla

Quote:

If it's uneven and falling over, it just makes it look more like my yard! icon_biggrin.gif

Snocilla, LMAO! Mine too!

Cakegroove, maybe your icing needs to be little stiffer.

cakegroove Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 27

I thought that too but MAN it already makes my hand hurt. I did the whole top of a half sheet cake as a golf fairway. THAT grass IS perfect. I'll just chalk it up to i'm a woosy

cakegroove Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:03pm
post #9 of 27

Hey look I'm not a newbie anymore icon_wink.gif awesome

snocilla Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:04pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:

I thought that too but MAN it already makes my hand hurt. I did the whole top of a half sheet cake as a golf fairway. THAT grass IS perfect. I'll just chalk it up to i'm a woosy

LOL! I suppose golf course grass IS perfect. I think if anyone does a whole top of a half sheet cake in grass, their hands will hurt!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:13pm
post #11 of 27

Yup...been there done that...and yes, the icing has to be stiffer or it will "fall over"...great look for a fairway and the rough but not for the green. UGH..makes you hands ache so give yourself breaks when doing this. This is why I hardly ever do "star" cakes anymore...hurts too much! LOL!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:19pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

sometimes you have to stop and wash the tip. other than that, you're probably overthinking it. It's super fast.

Right. That's why I invested in several grass tips. Rather than stopping to wash, I just change the tip. Although, sometimes the hands do need a little more time to rest. icon_smile.gif

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:34pm
post #13 of 27

I love grass. It's an awesome camouflage and muggles are easily impressed.

kger Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:37pm
post #14 of 27

Oh, and if you do muppet fur (Elmo, Cookie Monster, etc.) with a grass tip, they fall all over themselves proclaiming how realistic, and "how ever did you do that?" Cracks me up.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:42pm
post #15 of 27

I have to do grass on a cake tomorrow night...which tip is a grass tip?

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:55pm
post #16 of 27

If it's uneven and falling over, it just makes it look more like my yard! icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

Teehee!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:14pm
post #17 of 27

Did you base coat the cake in green icing first? I usually do that, then put clumps of grass here and there. That way, it's less stressful. Hot hands will make the icing soft and warm, and the grass will fall over. Try to rinse off your hands in cool water to keep them from getting too warm. I also put the bag in the refrigerator for a few minutes to cool it off.

cakegroove Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:43pm
post #18 of 27

no, the cake was white base. good call on a green coating first. and yes i had the hot hand issue also. good call on the cold water and cooling the bag for a few. maybe even fill a couple of bags and rotate between the two of them being in the fridge and being used.

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:49pm
post #19 of 27

a few bare spots you've got my yard.

kger Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:44am
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarks0

I have to do grass on a cake tomorrow night...which tip is a grass tip?

Wilton tip #233

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:58am
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by snocilla

Quote:

Lmao, I am crying from laughing so hard.

I love doing grass, I agree on when it is uneven it looks more natural.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:24pm
post #22 of 27

while 233 is the most common grass tip, there is a larger version 234 grass tip, which is the one I prefer

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:30pm
post #23 of 27

I picked up a 233 today so we'll see how that turns out. Thanks for the info!

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:59am
post #24 of 27

Oh, me too! The first time I used royal icing, and to get it stiff enough so that it didn't just melt together into a clump, I had to make it stiff, and my hand was nearly fallin off by the time I'd piped two boarders. Awful stuff!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:10am
post #25 of 27

too cool your hands down faster fill a ciup with water and put it in the freezer, then wrap your hands around it when your hands get hot. =) save you constantly running to the tap.

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:01am
post #26 of 27

I'm making a cake with grass this weekend. I had already bought the grass tip. With the tips here, I hope it comes out good.

And I didn't even think of using it for furry characters. Perfect.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:36am
post #27 of 27

i just use a regular round tip and pipe uneven that way :p I like it better that way.

I do know that when you use the grass tip you kind of have to pipe closely to the cake first and push slightly to create a base and then pull out fast as you pipe....I know that sounds all technical but it's the only way I can describe it. oh, and keep a toothpick on hand to unclog the holes. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%