Airbrushing Equipment

Decorating By Delynn Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 8:53pm by ibmoser

Delynn Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 2

HELP! DH says I have to find out info TODAY about airbrushes & compressors otherwise he won't buy one for me. He found one on sale (forget where) that expires tomorrow/Sat? and told me to find out what brand/type decorators recommend first. He said he'll buy one for me only IF I can get some feedback because he doesn't want to waste his money on a brand/type that is problematic. He wants me to have one that's easy to use (double action) so I can do fine lines, etc. PLEASE HELP???? icon_cry.gif

1 reply
ibmoser Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 2

Wow - nothing like a little pressure, eh?? icon_lol.gif I'm no expert, but I'll try to get the ball rolling. I have a dual action Badger from Michaels (coupon LOL) and a Badger compressor - nothing fancy, but it is just a hobby for me. Dual action is supposed to give you more precision for details like fine lines or shading - the air and color are controlled independently. Single action is supposedly easier and faster to use but is better for basic over-all coloring - the trigger controls both air and pigment simultaneously. I took an airbrush class with Bronwen Weber, and she recommended a dual-action basic airbrush and a small compressor from Harbor Freight - the total system was under $150. If you do a search for airbrushes, you'll find several threads with lots of info on various systems. My only suggestions would be to look for a cover on the pigment cup and be sure your compressor has a moisture trap (and traps can be purchased for any model compressor if it isn't included). Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%