Home Made Cake Dummy?

Decorating By Elcee Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 11:05pm by Elcee

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 46

OK, I know this is really strange but here goes...I am thinking of entering a cake in my County Fair cake decorating contest. I don't want to put too much money into it because it seems like it's pretty small (1st prize is $4 icon_lol.gif ) and the categories are wedding, gingerbread house or novelty. I would do a novelty if I enter. The cake will be on display for 10 days. They recommend using dummies but I don't have dummies and want to do a cake using my 3D heart pan or carving a cake. The judging wll be done the 1st day but a real cake will be looking pretty nasty by the 4th or 5th day.

So, here's my question...can I bake and/or carve my cake and then seal it in something like Modge Podge to make a home made cake dummy?

Thanks!

45 replies
kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 46

I can't see that working (maybe I'm wrong) and I would think that the cost of baking ingredients and the cost for the amount of modgepodge that you would need would outweigh the cost of a dummy.
Good Luck with the contest.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 46

OMG! Seriously? How do they think they'll get anyone to participate with a 1st prize of $4.00? I think you've already wasted $4 of your time trying to figure out how/what to make! I don't get it... I'd pass.

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

OMG! Seriously? How do they think they'll get anyone to participate with a 1st prize of $4.00? I think you've already wasted $4 of your time trying to figure out how/what to make! I don't get it... I'd pass.

haha! I Know it is such a small amount for a contest...even for a kids contest it will be too small icon_biggrin.gif
HOWEVER!!!! if you see you will be getting tons of exposure and your work will be known and recognized by future customers,then invest!
specially if you get to bring your dummy cakes home.GO FOR IT!!! just for the heck of fun and creativity icon_biggrin.gif
thats what I'll say...but hey,I am crazy like that...I love to take risks icon_smile.gif
GOOD LUCK!
- h

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 46

I'd say invest in a dummy--you can always re-use them afterwards.

Good luck on the contest!

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 46

I agree with honeyscakes! Exposure and then bringing home your cake dummy may be worth it. Plus it sounds like a fun way to be creative!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 46

Get some of the plaster of paris that comes on a guaze strip. Line your cake pan well, then you wet the strips and line the pan with them.

I did this once for the stand up teddy bear pan.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Get some of the plaster of paris that comes on a guaze strip. Line your cake pan well, then you wet the strips and line the pan with them.

I think I know what TS is talking about. They may sell these at the pharmacy. It's the stuff that they make casts (like when you break your arm) with. I have some at home because I learned how to make body casts for sculpting. They are pretty inexpensive and neat for various craft projects. I had to order mine online though, because I couldn't get it at Walgreens or CVS.

Elcee Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:51pm
post #9 of 46
Quote:
Quote:

I can't see that working (maybe I'm wrong)

Do you mean you don't think it would work at all or that it doesn't seem worth it?

Quote:
Quote:

if you see you will be getting tons of exposure and your work will be known and recognized by future customers,then invest!
specially if you get to bring your dummy cakes home.GO FOR IT!!! just for the heck of fun and creativity

I enter contests for fun and creativity, I've done 3 so far and really enjoy the competitions ...sadly, no customers for me, I live in a state where I can't license a home kitchen.

Quote:
Quote:

I'd say invest in a dummy--you can always re-use them afterwards.

I plan on investing in traditional round dummies for a show next year but the I don't want to for this because I would either do a 3D heart or try to carve a baseball glove.

Thanks for all of your input, I appreciate it and will take all of your advice and comments into consderation...I'll keep an eye on this topic until I have to get my entry form in (I need to mail it later today).

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I think I know what TS is talking about. They may sell these at the pharmacy. It's the stuff that they make casts (like when you break your arm) with. I have some at home because I learned how to make body casts for sculpting. They are pretty inexpensive and neat for various craft projects. I had to order mine online though, because I couldn't get it at Walgreens or CVS.

Duh, I forgot they have these at craft stores too.

Like this:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/artmolds-instant-mold-plaster-bandages/?wmcp=google&wmcid=products&wmckw=33580-1045-9398

Elcee Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:54pm
post #11 of 46

Texas Sugar and Metria, great idea! I have to go to Walmart (if I can ever get off CC icon_smile.gif ) so I'll see if they have some.

Elcee Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm
post #12 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

Duh, I forgot they have these at craft stores too.

Like this:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/artmolds-instant-mold-plaster-bandages/?wmcp=google&wmcid=products&wmckw=33580-1045-9398

Well, I guess I'll just have to SACRIFICE and FORCE myself to make stops at Michael's and Hobby Lobby, too! icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks again!

TexasSugar Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:01pm
post #13 of 46

Michaels and Hobby Lobby both carry it. I am not sure about Walmart.

I can't think of the name of it at Michaels, but it is with the other plaster stuff and comes in a clear bag with a paper folded over and stapled to it.

TexasSugar Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:04pm
post #14 of 46

Found it, Michael's carries Rigid Wrap.

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/plasrigwrap.html

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:04pm
post #15 of 46

You could buy a spray can of Dow Great Stuff at the hardware store. Grease your heart shaped pan and spray the stuff in it (outdoors)... it puffs up, then you can carve the 3D shape instead of cutting off level with your pan.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:10pm
post #16 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Hey, I enter the 4th largest State Fair in the country and First prize is $6.00 --it's just the nature of the beast. I don't do it for the money, that's for sure.

Elcee: you can also buy the paper mache (sp?)boxes at your local hobby store... turned over and without their lid they make great dummies.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:11pm
post #17 of 46

There is a contractors (plumbers) spray foam for spraying around pipes and other holes. You could spray that in a well greased pan. It swells pretty big, so be careful.

Elcee Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:11pm
post #18 of 46

Thanks, TexasSugar, Michael's it is!

CWR41, I've seen that stuff...I'll keep it in mind if I decide to go the carved baseball glove route.

You've all been great...thanks again!

TexasSugar Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:12pm
post #19 of 46

When using the plaster or the foam sprays I would be sure to cover the pan with some plastic wrap or foil or something.

I know you would wash the pan afterwards, but since those things aren't made to be eaten or probably come into contact with things that are, it is better to be safe about it.

Win Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:14pm
post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMillie

There is a contractors (plumbers) spray foam for spraying around pipes and other holes. You could spray that in a well greased pan. It swells pretty big, so be careful.

Yes. I've done this as well. Make sure you cut a cardboard "lid" to place over the top of the foam as it expands... this will keep it from leaving the pan. You have to weigh down the cardboard otherwise the foam will lift it right off --much like popcorn coming out of a too-full pot. icon_biggrin.gif

Elcee Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:15pm
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Hey, I enter the 4th largest State Fair in the country and First prize is $6.00 --it's just the nature of the beast. I don't do it for the money, that's for sure.

Wow, really? This is just a county fair...my state fair has a 1st prize of $50, last year I got $20 for 3rd place.

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:16pm
post #22 of 46

I was in a pinch once and my local cake store was out of the sizes I needed. There was no time to order online and the local craft stores only carry floral forms which end up being a but pricey.

I made rice crispy dummies. Not sure if this is actually the most cost effective way in the long run, but it certainly worked in my time crunch and budget for that particular project. Mix up the rice crispy treats and pack them VERY tightly into a pan the size you require. Pound it down really tightly with a can or glass jar to make it as dense as possible. Remove from the pan and cut any irregularities off with a serrated knife. Cover in buttercream (or RI) and then cover in fondant.

Worked like a charm, and you would never know they weren't cake forms.

Win Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:28pm
post #23 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Wow, really? This is just a county fair...my state fair has a 1st prize of $50, last year I got $20 for 3rd place.

Yea, it's kind of pitiful. Up until last year, the Culinary Board considered Fondant a "foreign" method. I argued that one until they changed the rules to include it as "any" method. I also have worked with them to change how they judge the cakes. It was so backwards.

The one cake that gets voted "Best of Show" gets a BIG ribbon (hootie-hoo) and one of the local cake supply stores provides a 25.00 gift certificate to the winner.

edited - typo

Win Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:30pm
post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Yea, it's kind of pitiful. Up until last year, the Culinary Board considered Fondant a "foreign" method. I argued that one until they changed the rules to include it as "any" method. I also have worked with them to change how they judge the cakes. It was so backwards.

The one cake that gets voted "Best of Show" gets a BIF ribbon (hootie-hoo) and one of the local cake supply stores provides a 25.00 gift certificate to the winner.

Oops... I'm wrong --1st place wins $8.00, 2nd is $6.00, 3rd is $4.00 and 4th all you get is a "thanks for trying" ribbon. icon_lol.gif

Elcee Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:02pm
post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

I also have worked with them to change how they judge the cakes. It was so backwards.

Win, our state fair judging is nuts! I think the judges just picked the ones they liked the best! I was SHOCKED icon_eek.gif when I entered another competiton later in the year and actually got a sheet from each judge with POINTS awarded by each of them! icon_smile.gif This will be only the 3rd year our fair has had a cake decorating contest so I hope it will get better. I still like entering them, though.

Elcee Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:04pm
post #26 of 46

Everyone, I'd like to reply to you all individually but I can't. I dropped my entry in the mail and will start figuring out which of all of your great suggestions to use. I'll keep you posted. If I win that crazy 1st prize I'll take you all out to lunch! icon_lol.gif

Thanks again!

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:22pm
post #27 of 46

Sorry for the hijack icon_redface.gif ~ can someone tell me where I can order miniature cake dummies on line? The 3 tier? Thanks. icon_lol.gif

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:36pm
post #28 of 46

I would try "The foam studio dot com" no spaces. They do custom, good prices, and are very fast delivery, love em.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:44pm
post #29 of 46

Now back to the original post, a local artist uses foam insulation sheets (cheap!), glued together, then a heated wire (he made his but Michael's sells a version of it) to do the carving. Beautiful, but stinky, do it out side!

Elcee Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:42pm
post #30 of 46

*UPDATE*
OK, plan B (plaster of paris strips) and plan C (the plumbers' foam, which DH has in the garage, BTW) turned out to be not needed. Plan A, the "modge podge" seems to have worked beautifully. I baked pound cake and carved it to the best of my ability into a baseball glove shape (not bad for my first try at carving, if I may say so). I then used a mix of 1 part water, 2 parts white craft glue (my generic modge podge) and painted it on to seal the cake. I did 3 coats both top and bottom, allowing to dry several hours between coats. Below are pics of the sealed, carved cake and the fondant covered baseball glove. The finished cake will have a ball in the glove icon_smile.gif. It will be sitting on a square dummy that my DH made for me out of isulation sheets cut and glued together as deMuralist mentioned, although he came up with the same idea without me mentioning it. That is some nice styrofoam, BTW, dense and not as crumbly as some.

Thanks again for all of your help and input on this project!
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%