Boxes And Boards? Stuck What Do You Use?

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 6:10pm by catlharper

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 9

Hello all, my business is picking up and i used to deliver cakes on masonite boards that would be returned to me later, but business it too busy to keep that up, what disposable boards do you all use for stability, that i dont have to cut with a saw??

And I need to know how you all make boxes to deliver cakes in? or can you buy them cheaper than what ive found..I have research both questions and cant seem to find a reasonable price for either, im a small personal baker and cant afford a 5 dollar base for each cake..

good sight for boxes?

Please help!

8 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 9

Boards = brpboxshop.com. I don't use boxes for my tiered cakes. Other boxes = koerner-co.com.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 9

I get the wilton boards at michaels with the 40% off coupon and then I put three together for most cakes as a base....

I also get boxes at Lowe's, they are really cheap for moving boxes. Sometimes I have to alter it/cut and retape them to fit a base but they are still fine.

I used to use Sam's Club Domino sugar boxes and they were perfect! And free! But they changed brands and the boxes are no good for cakes. Gr.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannycakers

im a small personal baker and cant afford a 5 dollar base for each cake.

You aren't giving them away--they should be included in the price of the cakes that your clients are buying. If your clients say they can't afford a $5 base, it isn't optional, they have to pay for it or no cake. They don't actually need to know how much the base charge is, just figure it in and if you aren't charging enough to cover it, then increase your price to allow for it to be included.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannycakers

im a small personal baker and cant afford a 5 dollar base for each cake.

You aren't giving them away--they should be included in the price of the cakes that your clients are buying. If your clients say they can't afford a $5 base, it isn't optional, they have to pay for it or no cake. They don't actually need to know how much the base charge is, just figure it in and if you aren't charging enough to cover it, then increase your price to allow for it to be included.

thumbs_up.gif Exactly what I was thinking.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 9

I use cake drums. I have an equipment fee for every cake.

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 9

You can get a huge sheet of foam board at Dollar Tree for $1. Super easy to cut; I made one cut with an xacto and then finished it up with heavy kitchen scissors.

I use one full sheet to make a cake board/drum, just stack all the pieces together and cover with fanci foil or fondant (mmf is pretty cheap). Some people have been covering with some kind of patterned paper and then food safe contact paper, but I have no idea where to get that.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:39pm
post #8 of 9

Every year or so hubby orders me a pallet of honey combed cardboard locally which is stronger than regular wilton baords.They are 1/2 an inch thick.He then cuts them to my basic sizes to fit my cake boxes.I cut the circles etc. I order 100 ..19x14 cake boxes at a time.We stack them in the basement and when I get low..we order more.

I only use MDF or masonite if I am doing a large heavy wedding cakes but since my business is mostly kids party cakes...that is rare!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 9

I buy both at my local cake supply shop...runs about $3 per cake for board and box (I also don't box my tiered cakes) and it's always included in the price of the cake. In fact, I have a special place on my order form for the cost of the SPS...I act like it's a deposit...if they return all the pieces they get their $25 back, if not then I keep it. I only get it back about 10% of the time so apparently the $25 isn't enough for them to worry about!LOL!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%