How Do I Attach Real Ribbon To A Cake???

Decorating By lyonsbr Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 5:43pm by judyj2

lyonsbr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyonsbr Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 13

I have a wedding cake that I need to attach ribbon to. The cake with also have some fondant calla lilies and some draping. What's the best way to attach the ribbon??

12 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 13

First cut an equal amount of wax paper to go on the cake under the ribbon, then you can just run the ribbon around the cake and adhere it with a dot of royal icing or buttercream. This keeps your ribbon from actually touching the cake, making it food safe, and it also keeps it from getting grease spots on the ribbon making it look messy. HTH

Cat

lyonsbr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyonsbr Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:39am
post #3 of 13

Thank you so much! This worked very well! I'm glad you mentioned about the wax paper under the ribbon. I wouldn't have thought of it. Lots of firsts on this cake! =)

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:52am
post #4 of 13

I use clear tape...cut to size if nessary

catlharper Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:09am
post #5 of 13

You just want it to be food safe and ribbon isn't. And, here's a plus...the ribbon doesn't stick to the frosting so it just pulls off for cutting...the wax paper does pull off pretty well if the buttercream is well crusted first and, of course it comes off perfectly off of fondant!

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 11:45am
post #6 of 13

I did not use wax paper under it and it was fine...I did attach on the back by overlapping ribbon a bit using those small glue dots you can purchase on strips at Michael's, JoAnn Fabrics...

catlharper Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 13

As for using the wax paper...it's to keep the cake food safe. Cloth ribbons are often treated with preservatives/starches and other chemicals to keep them wrinkle free. Not something you want touching your cake or having a client remark upon the non food safe qualities of the ribbon. It's a better safe than sorry thing not to mention that with a buttercream covered cake the grease from the BC can leech into the ribbon unevenly and make it look really bad.

Cat

judyj2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judyj2 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 12:18am
post #8 of 13

Just another idea. I have cut strips of freezer paper which can be ironed to the back of the ribbon (waxed side toward back of ribbon). It is completely hidden and you don't have to deal with the ribbon and wax paper sliding around because it is now one piece.

catlharper Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 12:37am
post #9 of 13

Judy...LOVE that idea!

michgowell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michgowell Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm
post #10 of 13

would using parchment vs. wax make any difference?

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:50pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyj2

Just another idea. I have cut strips of freezer paper which can be ironed to the back of the ribbon (waxed side toward back of ribbon). It is completely hidden and you don't have to deal with the ribbon and wax paper sliding around because it is now one piece.

Wow-what a perfect idea! I just bought a roll of freezer paper to use to wrap chocolate (my first time) and now I have another use for that gigantic roll! Thanks a lot Judy2.

robin3845 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robin3845 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 2:20am
post #12 of 13

what is freezer paper??

judyj2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judyj2 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:43pm
post #13 of 13

Freezer paper is a heavy paper which is waxed on one side. It comes on a roll in the same type of package as wax paper comes in. Where I live, I believe the brand name is Reynolds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%