3 Tiered Cake - Stacked- Each Tier 6" Tall

Decorating By Shellyw Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 4:33pm by Shellyw

Shellyw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shellyw Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 5

Do you need to support a cake differently when the layers are going to be 6" tall or can I use the same support system as I would if the layers were 4" tall? I have never done one before. I would really appreciate any input. I couldn't find anything in the forums. I am doing this for a friend, but does this change the cost and servings? Thanks for any help. :0)

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 5

I support them exactly the same and count it as the same amount of servings as a 4" high cake would be, but my price per serving is higher to account for the extra cake they are getting. When it's cut, they're still going to cut it 1"x2" it will just be 6" tall instead of 4" tall so technically it will still yield the same servings, but the serving will be a bit larger which is why I charge more per serving (hope my ramblings just made sense lol)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 5

Since the cake is 50% taller than standard, the cost is 50% more per serving if you're providing a larger serving.

The servings you'll have to figure out. That a pretty non-standard height. A standard serving size is 8 cubic inches. If you can figure out how to cut it to that measurement, then you're back to your normal serving price, but you will get more servings per tier. Which of course increases the price per tier, since wedding cakes are typically cost per serving.

I'd definitely use the longer SPS legs for this, not dowels.

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 5

i would think you would do it the same just use stronger dowel rods and thicker cake boards, and a very strong base on the bottom as it will probably be a very heavy cake.

Shellyw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shellyw Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it! I will let you know how it goes. Wish me luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%