Gum Paste Wine Bottle Broke - What Went Wrong

Decorating By kirigami Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 1:48pm by jerseygirlNga

kirigami Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 5

I had made a wine bottle from fondant before and it never hardened so I needed to stuff it so it wouldn't collapse on my cake. So this time I made a gum paste wine bottle. I molded it to the bottle and let it harden for 24 hours, when I tried to remove it, it started cracking all over and was garbage icon_cry.gif . What did I do wrong? I know it wasn't fully hardened as the inside was still tacky. Should I have left it to dry longer? Should I have used a 50/50 mix?
Because it was for a cake due today I ended up molding a paper towel roll and fondant into the right shape, covering that with gumpaste and placing the entire thing on the cake. I didn't know what else to do. The bottle looks fine but it caused me a lot of stress and when they pull it off the cake they will be able to see what I used to make it. I would have prefered it to be hollow. It is for a friend who understands I am still learning by trial and error.
But I need to learn from each mistake and you guys are better than any teacher I could have.

4 replies
karateka Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:51am
post #2 of 5

If it wasn't dry on the inside that is why it broke.

I think it probably needed longer to dry than 24 hrs. I don't know if you put anything on the bottle between it and the gumpaste? I would have dusted it with cornstarch or PS. I did this once on a martini glass, and it required almost 3 days to dry thoroughly.

I'm sure someone else on here has other ideas...

kirigami Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 5

Do you know what the advantage is of making a 50/50 mix vs straight gumpaste?

I put plastic wrap on the bottle and that was not a good idea. I think last time I had wrapped the bottle in wax paper. How do you get the cornstarch to stick to the bottle?

karateka Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 5

I'm an idiot. I just remembered I'm thinking of the wrong cake. I did use waxed paper on that glass. I remember now having to tape it on the glass so it wouldn't slide off and take the gumpaste with it. That's what I get for surfing CC in the dead of night.

Using a 50/50 mix won't help with drying time. It will actually take longer than gumpaste, since fondant dries hard over a longer time than gumpaste.

Another option might be modeling chocolate. It is set by temperature, not time, so once you get it molded on there and smoothed out, let it cool a bit and you should be able to get it off sooner.

jerseygirlNga Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 5

50/50 actually adds to drying time. I use 50/50 when I have no less than 3 days...and fondant only when I have a week lead time.

Gumpaste usually forms up in several hours or a couple days depending on how thick the piece. To speed the drying time:
a) turn the light on in your oven and slide your gumpaste piece as close as possible. OR
b) invest a few dollars for a small 6" fan. Once top is dried, I turn over and dry other side.

I tried tylose in gumpaste? Not sure why, but my "little gumpaste lady" looked like she aged beyond her years. She was a perfect little pregnant mama when I started...ended up looking like she was a pregnant granny. She wrinkled all over!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%