Cake Truffle/balls Cost

Decorating By Stina Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 2:25pm by deMuralist

Stina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stina Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 10

I just got an order for a wedding. All they want are bites....cake truffles in two flavors, chocolate covered strawberries and cheesecake bites. Has anyone done this for a large event like this....what should I charge. Should I charge by the dozen or individually? Any/all replies are welcome.

9 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 10

I would charge per person, just like your regular per slice fee. How much per person you ask? There is a formula somewhere (any caterers out there?) that helps to approximate how many pieces of each item to provide for each guest, figure out how many dozens of each will be needed and then charge per person.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 10

I worked for a bakery that was known for their cakeballs...and we did tons for weddings. We charged by the dozen.
$20 for choc, french vanilla, lemon, strawberry.
$25 for carrot, spice, italian cream...or any other specialty flavor. These would be dipped in white, milk or dark chocolate with zig zag drizzle on top.
We would add $2 more per dozen for fondant toppers.
We did NOT offer a quantity discount. We DID offer to take off the topper fee if the quantity was large.
HTH! icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 10

I charge only $6.00/dozen.......however, I would imagine that cheesecake balls would be MUCH more expensive ingredients wise, so you would definitely charge more for those1

carmijok Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I charge only $6.00/dozen.......however, I would imagine that cheesecake balls would be MUCH more expensive ingredients wise, so you would definitely charge more for those1

You're only charging 50 cents per cakeball? That's WAY too cheap IMO. The time you spend rolling and dipping and decorating has to be worth more than that!
Now we never used icing to mix in and would knead the cake to where it was like a brownie consistency so that took a lot of time, but even so...I think you are undercharging big time. We not only got $20 per dozen...we often had a waiting list of people who wanted cakeballs. And if you look at some of the websites who sell cakeballs online they charge a whole lot more than $20 per dozen. I was at a bakery a couple of months ago and they charged $2 per individual cakeball. We had to bake cake just for cakeballs....not just use the trimmings and we once figured that there was the equivalent of two pieces of cake in one cakeball. Yeah, they were rich. Honestly, you might want to charge more!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 10

I can make about 60 from one batch of cake batter and once the cake is baked I can mix, roll, freeze, and dip 60 in under 2 hrs. easily! That's including an hr. in the freezer to firm up at which point I clean up the mess from baking.

After expenses I'm making a little over $10/hr. I'm ok with that. As it is I don't get a TON of orders because people think they're too expensive........I usually do REALLY good at Christmas time with them though!!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:05pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Now we never used icing to mix in and would knead the cake to where it was like a brownie consistency so that took a lot of time, but even so..

Interesting....

carmijok Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Now we never used icing to mix in and would knead the cake to where it was like a brownie consistency so that took a lot of time, but even so..

Interesting....

Well it makes the cakeball less sweet. There were others that sold cakeballs in our area but our customers said ours were better. The kneaded dough (and you really have to squish it) makes a very rich cakeball and a little goes a long way. After kneading the cake to dough consistency we would use meatballers to portion, then hand roll the portions until smooth and round. They were about the size of golf balls...maybe a tad smaller. Any larger and they were just too much. Her cakeballs were voted 'Best Cult Dessert' by a local newspaper. We did hundreds every week--and always had a waiting list. I could never get the hang of dipping them correctly so I won't do them now. I personally never cared much for them at all, but tons of others did!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:05pm
post #9 of 10

Since the cakeballs are dipped in chocolate, we use our chocolate pricing rather than our cake pricing. We currently charge $16/lb or $1 per oz. It makes the math real simple. Our cakeballs tend to run anywhere from $1-$2.

Paul

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:25pm
post #10 of 10

I charge a $1 a ball, and figure it usually takes 3 per person. I have started to do them displayed on a tier of cake dummies, and plan to start adding flowers to the display.

The first one I made-was a practice one- used 256 bites (mine are not really balls-they are flat on the bottom so they won't roll) and used a 14-10-6 combo of tiers. The photo is in my photos.

I am making another one this week and will use 12-10-8.

My gut is telling me to charge $500 for one of these once I get them perfected.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%