Using A Real Ribbon On Cakes.

Decorating By Akselina Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 2:06pm by minicuppie

Akselina Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 5

I have a wedding cake to do and I'm in between using a real ribbon or making one from sugarpaste. I've never used a real ribbon. I live in Finland and here the guests cut the cake pieces by themselves. My problem is how do you cut the cake when there's a real ribbon around the cake? Is it been taken away before the first piece? If I use a real ribbon what things should I take to account? Any other opinions on this subject?

4 replies
minicuppie Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 5
KHalstead Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, you wold remove the ribbon first then cut the cake...I treat it the same way as I do real flowers...remove them all, then cut!

So guests ALWAYS cut their own cake there?? That would make it really difficult when deciding what a serving size is wouldn't it?? I mean what if someone cut a HUGE slice for themself and left none for the rest of the people?

Akselina Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 5

These types of cakes haven't been made that long around here. In some cases someone may be cutting the cake so things would go smoother. I've never heard that someone would have taken so much cake that others would have left without.
Traditonally the cakes in Finland have been round and covered in whipped cream. How dull.. Sometimes, or I should say always when I serve a cake in other shaper I get annoyed when people don't know how to cut them. They just try to cut them like they were round. And if it's been covered in fondant and I place a shap knife along the cake cutter they don't use it and the cake looks like it aswell.. icon_mad.gif

minicuppie Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 5

I have always loved the Princess Cake! If put together with well made, quality ingredients and decorated simply, IMO it can be the star of the dessert buffet! Tried to find a good (re pretty) image and discovered that there are a lot of abused cakes out there, lolol! I guess if you were forced to eat prime beef every day that would be boring, also. To
lay a ribbon there are a few options...1. cut waxed paper to fit exactly and go over it with a coolish iron is one, 2. paint the back of the ribbon with piping gel or RI and get it over with, altho this will slightly darken the ribbon. My personal fave is #2 as the gel/RI will act as glue and there are no worries about having sharps in your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%