Need Advice On Figures??

Decorating By leah754 Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 8:15pm by chellescountrycakes

leah754 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah754 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:46am
post #1 of 6

I am new to decorating. I've done a total of 3 cakes that are not too horrible to post here. LOL Anyhow, after sending off three cakes (2) of which are not in my photos. I have had my husbands aunt come to request two birthday cakes this weekend. One hello kitty cake and one pokemon cake. I would like to do two layer tiered cake with fondant or gumpaste figures.

Just wondering which is better to use? This would be my first time attempting figures and I know gumpaste dries out quicker, so should I use fondant or a mix of the two?

5 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:13am
post #2 of 6

I like to use gumpaste or modeling chocolate for mine.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:15am
post #3 of 6

i just use fondant mixed with cmc for mine...ive never had much luck making gumpaste.. we dont get along to well.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 6

I just use fondant. It works well. icon_smile.gif Good luck!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 6

I have used fondant, fondant with tylose, gumpaste. Of the 3 my preference is the fondant mixed with tylose. I like to use plain fondant if I am making something small, like penguins that I know kids will be eating. If I am making larger figures I use the fondant mixed with tylose. It dries a little more quickly and is easy to work with. Good luck with your first modeling attempt. Be careful, you might get hooked, it's very addictive! icon_biggrin.gif

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 6

I use fondant/gumpaste mix- Fondant stays too soft for me for most things for too long- It will distort the stuff I am doing before it dries enough to stay the right shape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%