Open Ring Box Cake...um...how??

Decorating By cdent Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 3:14pm by cdent

cdent Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:24am
post #1 of 7

Hey guys!

I was crusin the galleries and I came across this cake by tinylittleovencakes. She didn't post the instructions so I thought I would ask you guys how I would go about creating the lid (structure wise). I am sure it could be styrofoam but I am not sure how it stays up without tearing down the cake with it. Thanks in advance!!
LL

6 replies
yummy Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 7

I've never done one myself, someone will come along with experience; you could try pming the member who did the cake and ask them.

cdent Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 7

I just emailed her...this cake is due this Saturday the 10th so I am hoping someone can help me out in the meantime icon_smile.gif

janeoxo Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 7

Doesn't look like styrofoam to me, looks more like gumpaste but could be wrong as always difficult to tell from a picture.

If that is the case I personally would use wooden skewers stuck into the gumpaste before it dries leaving a good length sticking out. Once dry I would put the exposed skewers into the cake. I would also use some buttercream to stick the lid to the bottom.

HTH

Jx

livforcake Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 7

I just watched and episode of Cake Boss where Buddy made one of these. I tried to find a video online, but I couldn't get one to work. Try this and see if it has any info? I couldn't view it as the "video is not available in my area". Boo.

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/tlc/38419-cake-boss-plants-pranks-a-proposal-video.htm

Rosie2 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 7

Cdent----use the same pan that you bake your cake in and cover it with gumpaste giving the shape of the lid. Cut around it to the size you would want to the lid to be. Before you do that make sure you put corn starch to the pan to avoid sticking. Let it dry for 1 day or 2 and when you take it out viola you have you a box lid!! icon_smile.gif that's how I made the lid for this cake
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1577712
Not sure if it makes sense but if not please let me know. Good luck!

Edited to add---oops, you wanted to know how the lid stays up like a box...sorry, that I don't know icon_redface.gif the lid of the cake I made I just put it on the side and glued it with chocolates. Hope that helps...

cdent Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by livforcake

I just watched and episode of where Buddy made one of these. I tried to find a video online, but I couldn't get one to work. Try this and see if it has any info? I couldn't view it as the "video is not available in my area". Boo.

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/tlc/38419-cake-boss-plants-pranks-a-proposal-video.htm

Thanks so much for finding this! Looks like Buddy actually made a box out of wood and then added some rice crispy treats around the rim...I am not quite that lumber/power tool savvy lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%