How Do I Get Hot Pink????

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 4:46am by madgeowens

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:22am
post #1 of 22

I am trying to color fondant hot pink and it is clearly drab so far thumbsdown.gif

21 replies
mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:26am
post #2 of 22

I've found that the Wilton Pink by itself gets to be rather bright when you add enough of it...

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:35am
post #3 of 22

Hi Madge...Wilton Rose will give you Hot Pink..and it doesn't take alot of it either. Wilton Pink has an orange tint to it and will never be Hot Pink no matter how much you add. Do a little "color test" take a couple of small balls of fondant and add the Wilton Pink to one and the Wilton Rose to the other. You'll see exactly what I'm talking about. thumbs_up.gif

Americolor Electric Pink is also Hot Pink but it takes more than the Wilton to get the right shade and it seems to leave an aftertaste....to me anyway.

mandymakescakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:41am
post #4 of 22

It may be Wilton Rose that I'm thinking of... It's late, and I've had a few glasses of wine with dinner this evening. icon_wink.gif

madgeowens Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:07am
post #5 of 22

lol mandy....ok I used the rose and the bright pink in americolors....its drab...like a rose...will it brighten as it ages do you think? thanks both of youicon_smile.gif

illustreeous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illustreeous Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:10am
post #6 of 22

agree robin! Americolor does leave a bit of an after taste cause you use a significant amt more than the wiltons ( even though wiltons gel isn't a fan of me -visa versa )

& if it isnt obviously ( cause it wasn't to me for the first time try @ hot pink..) do small portions & combine :] as the color develops your hope begins to come back. HAHA i'm a p/t baker - it might only be me but just a fyi from the young'n in southern cal goodluck!

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:37am
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymakescakes

It may be Wilton Rose that I'm thinking of... It's late, and I've had a few glasses of wine with dinner this evening. icon_wink.gif

Well...I'm jealous. I don't even remember how long it's been since I've had a "few glasses of wine" or a glass of wine for that matter icon_lol.gif I don't drink because I just don't care for it but I do like to have a glass of wine with my dinner occasionally....I think I'm long...long overdue. icon_lol.gif One glass of wine for me is my limit....I'm a "cheap drunk" icon_biggrin.gif

illustreeous..Wilton gel isn't usually my choice for tinting fondant/icing...but the Wilton Rose IS the best I've come across to get the perfect Hot Pink. thumbs_up.gif

Madge...whatcha working on??? Trust me....on the Rose... icon_lol.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:43am
post #8 of 22

http://allrecipes.com/Cook/Photo.aspx?photoID=214891
I used Americolor soft pink to get the hot pink roses on the bassinet. I have tried deep pink and don't like the color. I was surprised how bright soft pink can get and I really like the outcome.

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

http://allrecipes.com/Cook/Photo.aspx?photoID=214891
I used Americolor soft pink to get the hot pink roses on the bassinet. I have tried deep pink and don't like the color. I was surprised how bright soft pink can get and I really like the outcome.

I'm going to try that next time that I need hot pink...I bet that it doesn't have the "after taste" that the electric pink has either.

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:59pm
post #10 of 22

Duff stuff carries an electric pink,green,blue and purple in a pack all togetrher I found it at Michaels craft store thats about it on his stuff that I use!1

YANKEEGIRL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YANKEEGIRL Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:02pm
post #11 of 22

Americolor makes an Electric Pink color that works great in Fondant. I use Americolor for just about everything.

madgeowens Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:08am
post #12 of 22

My new daughter in laws birthday cake....she had a baby on the 26th....she wants black hot pink and white with stars for her birthday cake. I used the rose, so maybe I thought it should pop more lol, maybe I need some wine

mamawrobin Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:19am
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

My new daughter in laws birthday cake....she had a baby on the 26th....she wants black hot pink and white with stars for her birthday cake. I used the rose, so maybe I thought it should pop more lol, maybe I need some wine

icon_lol.gif Open a bottle and have a glass or two...I bet it will "pop" then. thumbs_up.gif
I love the color of Wilton Rose...so pretty....

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:39am
post #14 of 22

I used Americolor electric pink to get this color. It did take quite a bit. Honestly I never thought to taste it after but the consistency did change slightly.
LL

madgeowens Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:15am
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

icon_lol.gif Open a bottle and have a glass or two...I bet it will "pop" then. thumbs_up.gif

LOL yes if I had wine I would be whats poppin haha....well it looks ok I think..I will post pics when I get it done Saturday. Thanks

mamawrobin Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:28am
post #16 of 22
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

LOL yes if I had wine I would be whats poppin haha....well it looks ok I think..I will post pics when I get it done Saturday. Thanks

That's funny Madge...me too..I don't drink so one glass of wine and I'm literally buzzed...I'm not kidding about being a "cheap drunk". Can't wait to see your cake.

mandymakescakes Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 10:02pm
post #17 of 22

I've found that the Wilton Pink by itself gets to be rather bright when you add enough of it...

madgeowens Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:12am
post #18 of 22

LOl yes I was alwasy a cheap drunk too....thats how I got marries lol....almost 38 years, so guess it was ok haha...don't want to press my luck though hehe

mamawrobin Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:33am
post #19 of 22
Quote:

LOl yes I was alwasy a cheap drunk too....thats how I got marries lol....almost 38 years, so guess it was ok haha...don't want to press my luck though hehe

Well I'd say after 38 years that ya made a good choice...sober..or not.. icon_lol.gif
How'd your cake turn out?

madgeowens Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:01am
post #21 of 22

I don't know looks like rose to me haha...but the feathers are hot pink icon_smile.gif Hope she likes it.....man I had a mess of air bubbles for some reason...grrr

madgeowens Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:46am
post #22 of 22

Anyway she just loved the cake so it was a winner icon_smile.gif thanks for all the tips

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%