1St Carved Cake - Help!

Decorating By mcyoung Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 5:04am by illustreeous

mcyoung Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:58am
post #1 of 3

Hi guys

I am making my first true carved cake next month. The client wants a 3D monkey cake for her son's 1st birthday.

Do you any suggestions on what type of cake works best? I am concerned that my normal cakes may be too moist for this.

Also in terms of stacking and support - any tips? (Center dowel? Multiple dowels? etc)

Thanks so much for any advice you can give!

2 replies
karateka Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:44am
post #2 of 3

Do you have a pic of what she wants?

I like to use pound cake for carving, it hold up better for me, but the 3D dog I did in my photos was plain chocolate butter cake. Of course, he was lying down, so that made it easier.

Of course if it is stacked high, I would put in supports every 2 or 3 layers. If you can use something sturdy like bubble tea straws or sps I would, but you could use dowels. (not sure how big around he'll be)

My DH has made me supports before out of metal pipes with a board screwed on. If your monkey is standing you might need something like that. Even if he's sitting but pretty tall, it might be a good idea to have a strong center dowel that is attatched to the base board. Put a hole in the center of the cake boards you use so you can slide it right down the center dowel (it will go through the cake pretty easily, esp if you sharpen the end first). I've also seen Buddy use plastic pvc pipe as supports.

Good luck- post pics!

illustreeous Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:04am
post #3 of 3

beware!chocolate cake always crumbles unless u freeze it then cut into it. I learned that my first shot in the dark with a 3d cake.

she is correcto mundo.. pound cake is a great choice! what flavors were you thinking of ?? how tall do they want it? just recently I had a customer that requested I use no pvc, metal or non-edible items as the support to a 3d purse stack for her daughter's cake. I used a solid chocolate pole and built the cake around it using round cookie cutters through my layers to slide em down the chocolate.

It really just depends on what your clients request! definitely GOODluck - never forget to have fun & do post pictures ( cause i'm horrible @ updating! )

Quote by @%username% on %date%