Fondant Questions

Decorating By kristanashley Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 1:38pm by kristanashley

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:11am
post #1 of 9

I'm about to make my first batch of mmf and I have some questions. How much cake will one batch (made with 1 bag of mm) cover? Also, I read that I should mix my food coloring in while the marshmallows are melted, but I need multiple colors, so what should I do? Also, how long do the decorations need to sit out and harden? Thanks guys.

8 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:18am
post #2 of 9

I can cover a 12 inch square cake with one batch of MMF..that's 16oz of marshmallows. This is 4 inches tall.

You do want to add color when the marshmallows are melted IF you want it all the same color. If not then make it plain with flavoring added at the time when the MMs are melted but no color. Then when you are done with the kneading go ahead and package it with a thin coating of crisco double wrapped in the fridge and wait for morning. The next day, if you can figure out how much of each color you will need, divide the MMF. Put back the white you will need sealed up again. Microwave your MMF to soften it up..few seconds at a time. If you have gloves this is the time to use them, if not then make sure to grease up your hands well and start with your first color and start to knead in the gel coloring till you get about a shade lighter than you really want. Wrap it up with a thin coat of crisco and put it in the fridge..the color will develop over the next 24 hours. If you need to add more color to get the shade you want then after the 24 hours is when to do it. I have had cakes where I had as many as 6 different colors! LOL! Not as easy as the whole cake in once color but it works! HTH Cat

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:19am
post #3 of 9

Oh...and mix tylose in with the MMF for figures or it can take up to two weeks for the figures to dry. With tylose (about two tsp per cup of MMF) you can get it to dry in a few days...50/50 mmf and gumpaste dries in one to two days.

Cat

kristanashley Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the advice, but I posted this question the night before my cake was due and I didn't really get to take much of it. Next time... icon_smile.gif I think it ended up turning out pretty well for a first attempt at fondant. I was kinda miffed that my vines kept cracking though. It's the tinkerbell cake in my photos. Any tips?

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 9

Love the Tinkerbell cake.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 9

Lots of crisco!!

The more I've worked the fondant in my hands to make it warm the better my results. I try to keep a good coating of crisco on any pieces I'm molding to help prevent finger prints and cracks. I sometimes need to blot them a bit so I can get the pieces to stick together.

kristanashley Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:22am
post #7 of 9

Thanks! I'll keep the crisco in mind next time. And I'm laughing about your not making mmf until the kids are in bed - yeah wish i had read that sooner. lol icon_smile.gif

diabolicdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diabolicdesire Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 12:49pm
post #8 of 9

I think it looks fabulous icon_smile.gif I made MMF the other day just to use for some decorations on a buttercream cake and I couldn't believe how easy it was to work with. I've been afraid to cover a cake up until now but after playing with it I think I can do it icon_smile.gif How much MMF did you end up makeing/using to complete the Tink cake?

kristanashley Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 1:38pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you! It was surprisingly easy to work with - I've been silly for being scared to try it. icon_smile.gif Anyways, I made a double batch of mmf and I had a ton left over. I figured better safe than sorry. But a single batch would have been fine for what I did. I had a 4" high 9" cake and a 4" high 6" cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%