Help!!! I'm About To Pull Out My Hair

Decorating By TPACakeGirl Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 2:03pm by leah_s

TPACakeGirl Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:51am
post #1 of 7

I have a Survivor cake that has to be delivered on Saturday morning. I made the palm trees ahead of time so that they could dry. I made approx. 14 of them, but I only needed 5. I figured I would make extra in case any broke. Well, 11 of them have broken and I think the remaining three may also.

My question is, does anyone know where I can get some plastic palm trees stat or what else would look good on the cake instead?

6 replies
kger Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:58am
post #2 of 7

How did you make the palm trees?

Try using pretzel rods (you can wrap in brown fondant or leave naked if you want) and do fondant/gumpaste leaves. You can try going to a cake supply store, or AC Moore I discovered has better plastic toy crap over Michael's, Target, Dollar Tree, or Walmart. Yes, I too was once on the hunt for plastic palm trees (and dinosaurs).

Anyway, if you go with the pretzel rod route, you should have time to make more.

Children Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:22am
post #3 of 7

Try party america or party galaxy....possibly hobby lobby. HTH.

AnotherCreation Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:35am
post #4 of 7

You would have plenty of time to make them out of modeling chocolate. I would as another poster suggested use pretzel rods as the base with the molded chocolate over it. You wouldn't have to but it would help.

TPACakeGirl Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:14am
post #5 of 7

I don't have any modeling chocolate. I originally wrapped wooden dowels in chocolate fondant for the trunks. The trunks are great. I made the leaves from fondant and then used royal icing to attach them. The leaves were fragile and either broke off or fell off and then broke.

CakeInfatuation Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 7

Make more leaves but out of gum paste. NOT fondant. The gum paste should hold it's shape.

leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 7

ditto. Fondant isn't made for leaves suspended in air like that. Gumpaste is strong. Or try 50/50.

I usually mash RKT into a trunk shape, then cover in choc fondant. The top is nice and flat for attaching the leaves.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%