To Torte Or Not To Torte...

Decorating By ArtsyLady Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 3:37am by mamawrobin

ArtsyLady Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 6

Recently I've been wondering about how other decorators fill their cakes. I've noticed that some people bake thinner layers and just stack three of them and others bake regular cake and then torte them. I've always just torted mine but I was wondering if the other way was easier. I am a little worried to try it because I've never baked a thin cake before. Does it change the texture? Do you bake it the same temp/time? Any advice would be great! Thanks ya'll.

5 replies
KHalstead Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 6

I bake regular layers and torte ONLY if customer requests it. I hated torting, it took so long piping all those dams and all then I got the bright idea to charge $.25/serv. extra for torting (since there was more filling involved and a LOT more work involved) since doing that I've only had to torte ONE TIME!! lol People around here are so cheap!

krafticakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 6

i only have 2 of each size of pan. so, i normally bake a regular cake and then just torte them. it's easier to get an even top when i use torted layers. i just put a toothpick on the top part and bottom part when i tort in between. so after i put the filling on the bottom layer, all i do is line up the toothpicks when i put the top layer back.

i've stacked 2 thin layers, too. but i always find that i have to compensate with buttercream frosting to even the top and make look straight.

KayMc Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:21am
post #4 of 6

I think the look of a torted, filled cake when you cut into the cake can't be beat!

icer101 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:35am
post #5 of 6

i LOVE to torte my cakes. I love the filling in between the layers. I love the taste of the filling along with the taste of the cake. I don,t torte , 9x13,etc, unless the customer ask for filling. then i torte and dam and fill. I do torte these sizes for my family gatherings , etc. so whatever people like and want . that is what i do. To torte or not to torte , that is the question. lol just trying to have fun.

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:37am
post #6 of 6
Originally Posted by KayMc

I think the look of a torted, filled cake when you cut into the cake can't be beat!

I agree thumbs_up.gif but I still hate doing it icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%