How Did This Happen????

Baking By _beckett_ Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 7:08pm by Joshua_Alan

_beckett_ Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 9

my 10 inch cake is half a dome! I used 3 of those flower nails and it still came out this way. My two 14 in and two 6 in came out fine. I baked this one at 350 and the rest were 325. Could this be the problem? Should I not use nails? It seemed cake domed right over them???

8 replies
Doug Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 9

yes temp could be the problem.

as it is, not a disaster -- just a quality control opportunity.

slice the dome off and eat it -- have to be sure it's a good cake! icon_rolleyes.gif

_beckett_ Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 9

Wiltons site says 10 in at 350 for 35-40 min. If I do 325, do I push it up to 45 minutes? I don't know enough yet to make changes and be comfortable. I'm going to try it.

metria Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 9

are you using baking strips too? imo, baking strips are more important than flower nails.

mandymakescakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by _beckett_

Wiltons site says 10 in at 350 for 35-40 min. If I do 325, do I push it up to 45 minutes? I don't know enough yet to make changes and be comfortable. I'm going to try it.

That's all you can do, try. Different recipes will behave differently under identical circumstances. With some of my recipes, I have to let the cake cool in the oven so that it won't sink, others I have to use the flower nail or bake even strips so it won't dome (three nails in a 10" might have been over kill, try using just one for that size). You'll find what works, just remember to write down what you do as you go through your trial and error method. icon_wink.gif

And Doug's right... eat the mistakes!!! icon_lol.gif

_beckett_ Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 9

ok. This time I baked it at 325 for 45 min with only one nail and it still happened. I don't own the heating strips...yet. Eating my mistakes is the only good part of this. icon_smile.gif

rara1975 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 9

I dont have the strips either, but I have been using about 5 sheets of newspapers, folded to the same height as my cake pan, then I just tape it around itself. I also scrape the cake mixture right up the sides of the pan, leaving a real big hole in the middle, and I have had a completely flat top on almost every cake with this method.

I am only a beginner though, but it seemed like good advice to me and its worked every time!

leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:03pm
post #8 of 9

Take the temp down some more. Are you baking in a gas oven, electric oven, or convection?

Joshua_Alan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 9

Yup, temp down lower. Your oven may not actually be at 350 when you set it to 350 either. Mine's older, and although I haven't checked it yet, I'm fairly certain it's hotter than what it claims!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%