Are They All The Same??

Decorating By iluvpeeks Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 1:20am by iluvpeeks

iluvpeeks Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 23

I want to purhase bubble straws. Are they all the same? Or are some better or stronger than others?

22 replies
chellescountrycakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 23

I just use McDonalds or SOnic straws..

Kitagrl Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 23

I get Bubble Tea straws at a local restaurant store...they are all about the same I think..nice and wide and brightly colored.

iluvpeeks Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 23

Okay, you want to get a good laugh. I went to McDonald's and got a chocolate shake and asked for some extra straws, and they said they could only give me 1 extra!! It must be NY cheap or something, I don't know. We don't have any Sonics here. Thats why I'm looking online to see where I can purchase them from. If anyone has any suggestions?

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:27am
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpeeks

Okay, you want to get a good laugh. I went to McDonald's and got a chocolate shake and asked for some extra straws, and they said they could only give me 1 extra!! It must be NY cheap or something, I don't know. We don't have any Sonics here. Thats why I'm looking online to see where I can purchase them from. If anyone has any suggestions?

That's too funny...I went by McDonald's last night and bought a large sweet tea so that I could ask for an "extra straw". I told the girl at the drive thru that I used them in my stacked cakes...she gave me like 25 of them thumbs_up.gif
I order milkshake straws thru a friend of mine that owns a catering company but I like to keep the McDonald straws on hand so that I don't ever run out. Any straw that is similar to the McDonald's straw will work just fine.
All of my tiered cakes in my photos have McDonald straws for supports..I absolutely hate cutting wooden dowels and I have never had a "support issue" using straws, even when transporting cakes. thumbs_up.gif

iluvpeeks Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:06am
post #6 of 23

mamawrobin
I think as a matter of fact that it may have been you that mentioned getting the straws from McDonalds? You mean I have to drive to Arkansas to catch a break? You would have thought I asked for a whole box, and her right arm!! I really want to try the straws because it seems as though everyone likes them. I used the wooden dowels in the 4th of July cake, but I don't know, there's just something about putting wood in a cake that bothers me. Actually, my dumb a** ex was at my daughters house also. Too bad he didn't choke on one, or swallow a splinter.hmmm. Maybe for my newest grandsons christening.

4realLaLa Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:15am
post #7 of 23
Quote:

You can get some bubble tea straws from Amazon.com

robyndmy Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:43am
post #8 of 23

I get my bubble tea straws from a local Asian food store. I quite like them, and I've never noticed a big difference between any.

I've used Dairy Queen straws before too, and even though I'm confident they'd hold up well, I like the bubble tea straws just because they're a bit wider and stronger.

AnotherCreation Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:58am
post #9 of 23

I get mine from an Asian grocery store as well. They are really cheap.

iluvpeeks Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:22am
post #10 of 23

Hi everyone
Thanks for all the replies. I went on amazon, and they have a whole bunch. The only question I have is they say they are 1/2" wide. Is that okay? Because the McDonalds straws are probably only 1/4" wide. I also called an Asian Market today, and they don't carry them. I guess Amazon will be my best bet.

noahsmummy Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:32am
post #11 of 23

ive seen them on ebay as well..

also, as to the maccas questions, i dont know how you get the straws in america, but here in aust. they put them on the counter.. so um... i just kinda reach and grab em. icon_wink.gif

i mean what? no.. i ask politely...and never have i sent my family individually to the counter to go "acquire" me some more.... icon_wink.gif

sweetkake Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:39am
post #12 of 23

I purchased mine from an Asian food store but they call them Boba tea straws. I assume they are the same thing, they work well.

iluvpeeks Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:40am
post #13 of 23

Oh Noahsmummy Your so funny. Here in America they keep the real skinny straws where you can get your condiments, but the only way you get to touch the fat straws is if you get a shake. Thats how you know you are special. Honestly, like they don't make enough money in these fast food places to give up a few straws. Its like that in New York anyway. But does anyone know if the 1/2" wide straws will be okay? Or is that too wide?

noahsmummy Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:46am
post #14 of 23

oh really? its same straws all round here... im craving cheese burgers and big macs now too..yum yum yum

iluvpeeks Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:53am
post #15 of 23

noahsmummy I took a peek at your pics. You do nice work, only now I want icecream, cause your chocolate chip ganache icecream cupcakes look delicious. Talk about yummy! What does anyone think about the size of the straws. Will 1/2" wide be too wide? Or will it be okay?

4realLaLa Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:59am
post #16 of 23

Bubble tea straws are wider than your average straw anyway. I think the 1/2" is what I have. You'll be fine with them. They offer great support.

PS I have used regular drinking straws as well and didn't have any problems with them either.

iluvpeeks Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:03am
post #17 of 23

Thanks 4realLaLa. Off to Amazon I go.

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:19am
post #18 of 23
Quote:

mamawrobin
I think as a matter of fact that it may have been you that mentioned getting the straws from McDonalds? You mean I have to drive to Arkansas to catch a break? You would have thought I asked for a whole box, and her right arm!! I really want to try the straws because it seems as though everyone likes them. I used the wooden dowels in the 4th of July cake, but I don't know, there's just something about putting wood in a cake that bothers me. Actually, my dumb a** ex was at my daughters house also. Too bad he didn't choke on one, or swallow a splinter.hmmm. Maybe for my newest grandsons christening.

You're too funny icon_lol.gif I agree with you on the "putting wood in a cake" I've never liked the idea either. I was delighted when I first heard of using straws instead. I have never used or even seen a bubble tea straw. The straws that I saw them using on Ace of Cakes were like the milkshake straws, maybe 1/4 of an inch wide. The wooden dowels that I use to use weren't any bigger than 1/4 an inch so I don't see why the straws should be. icon_confused.gif I have stacked up to 4 tiers using these straws and I've never had any problems with the support system on any of my cakes. Straws fill up with cake rather than displace cake like a wooden dowel when it's inserted into the cake...so...in my opinion it's probably even more secure.

Noahsmummy...you're a hoot...our McDonalds keep their straws out of sight from the cashier. Anytime that I'm in there and fix my own drink I always put a few "extras" in my purse. icon_lol.gif I do have to say though that anytime that I've ask for a "few extras" when going thru the drive thru they were more than willing to hand over several. I have even offered to pay for them but of course they didn't charge me. I order a "milkshake" straw thru a friend of mine but I just like the McDonald's straws better icon_lol.gif They are just the perfect width and thickness of plastic.

iluvpeeks Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:41am
post #19 of 23

Okay, I ordered the Bubble Tea Straws from Amazon. A really good deal. If you ordered 2 packs of 40 (which were .99 ea package) you get 2 packs of 40 free. Of course the shipping was more than the straws, but still not bad for $10 and change. Thanks ladies.

iluvpeeks Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:34am
post #20 of 23

Just wanted to let everyone know that I received the straws on Saturday! Now that was super fast delivery.

BRATTYR Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:58am
post #21 of 23

i have just used wooden dowles in the past but would like to try the straws (alot quicker to cut) would you say that you use that same number of straws as you would wood?
TIA

cakeandpartygirl Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:01am
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRATTYR

i have just used wooden dowles in the past but would like to try the straws (alot quicker to cut) would you say that you use that same number of straws as you would wood?
TIA

Yes

iluvpeeks Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:20am
post #23 of 23

BRATTYR
I wanted to try using the straws because of the pain in the you know what it is to cut the dowels. From what I have read on cc it seems that the straws are better to use because the straw fills up with cake instead of pushing the cake aside like the dowels. Not that the dowels are super thick or anything. I don't think anyone uses chair legs in their cakes. lol. The only question I have now is do you still use a dowel to drive through the tiers? Or is there another trick?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%