Which Pan Height Do You Like Best?

Decorating By divinecc Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 4:28am by divinecc

divinecc Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 8

Hi! I am fairly new and would like some input on what height of pan everyone likes best. I was told that 3" was best and that's mainly what I have but lately I have been thinking that I don't have enough filling inside the cakes. I usually have 2 cake layers with one layer of filling/frosting between. My cakes are really even so I never have to cut them. Each layer is about 1 1/2" tall when baked so I usually end up with about a 4" tall teir when filled and decorated. Should I cut the layers in half and put an extra 2 layers of filling/frosting??? I would just rather not have to cut the cakes if I don't have to, I am worried about the cake slipping but I may just be nervous cause I am new...... any advice would be great!

7 replies
KHalstead Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 8

I like 2" pans personally!!!

dozenredroses Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:35am
post #3 of 8

I only have 2 inch pans but for not specific reason. I am curious to the benefit of the 3" pans of the other sizes.

4realLaLa Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:42am
post #4 of 8

I have both 2" and 3" pans and I prefer the 3". I can put more batter into them.

AnotherCreation Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:02am
post #5 of 8

I have both and prefer the 2 inch. I don't torte unless requested so I prefer the 2 inch pans. When I torte I generally use the 3 inch pans. Did you say your cakes are only 1 1/2 inches high in a 3 inch pan without having to level????

divinecc Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:08am
post #6 of 8

Yea I did, I think it's because I have been trying a trick I found on whatscookingamerica.net, when cake gets out of the oven get a terry towel and press down, it will take out the dome and make it more dense and level??? I am really a beginner so I am just experimenting if you see a problem with this please let me know icon_smile.gif I was just worried about the cake not being heavy or dense enough to stack but I have been using WASC recipe....still trying to figure it all out!

AnotherCreation Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:18am
post #7 of 8

I haven't used the towel method but I know others have and said it works well. I didn't mean for it to seem like you were doing anything wrong. I was just curious. I am fairly new at this as well. When I bake my cakes in 2 inch pans they are generally 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 after leveling. So i was just wondering if maybe you were putting the same amount of batter that you would in a 2 inch?

divinecc Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:28am
post #8 of 8

No prob I just want to soak up any advice I can get! I usually fill them about 1 1/2" with batter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%