Applying For A Federal Id Number?

Business By grossoutqueen Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 10:05am by Miag829

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 12

Im in the process of getting everything taken care of so I can legally back from my home.

My husband said he talked with the lady at his work that handles finances and stuff and she said I should not apply for a federal id number unless I am doing a lot of business.
If I am only doing a cake or so a week (or less) I shouldn't.
Do you have to apply for an ID number? Is there a limit of money you make that means you don't have to get one?

11 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 12

If you're a biz, you need an EIN. Just go to the IRS website and get one. It's all done online, instantly and there's no cost.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 12

It's not how much money you make, it's the legal form of your business and how you do your taxes.

If you are doing business as a sole proprietor (and not through a separate legal entity) and you have no employees, then you can simply use your own social security number to open a bank account and to report your income and expenses, and you don't NEED a business EIN. But it's often a good idea to get one anyway, to help keep your business accounts separate from your personal ones, and as Leah says, it's easy and free to get one.

And you may want to get some advice (from a small business lawyer in your state) about protecting your personal assets in the event of a liability claim against you as a business owner. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:56am
post #4 of 12

You can apply and get it online - easy to do.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:47am
post #5 of 12

The reasoning to get one has nothing to do with how much money you make. I've no idea where that woman got that idea.

Sounds like (what I refer to as) Kitchen Table Legal Experts. dunce.gif

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 12

Just get one.... it's hard to buy wholesale without one. Even doing a cake a week, you can still shop at wholesale sites.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 12

There's a very small amount of money you can make before you have to pay self-employment taxes (well under $1000/year, as I recall). Ask a tax accountant. If you have sales tax in your state, you need to get a tax permit so you can collect and submit sales tax on your sales. Then your next stop is your insurance agent for business liability insurance. And, of course, the health department.

It's been said about a million times already on this site, if you want to be honest and protect yourself financially, set up the business legally. Being in business is like being pregnant. You can't be "sort of" pregnant, and you can't be "sort of" in business. You either are or you aren't.

The Small Business Administration has lots of resources. You may have SCORE volunteers in your area with business experience who will meet with you for free and help (http://www.score.org/index.html). They were invaluable to me when I set up my business.

_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 1:21am
post #8 of 12

I was under the impression that an EIN is also necessary if you have employees but optional if you don't.

If you don't have an EIN as a sole proprietor you just use your SSN. You can use that with wholesalers, too, and just have your seller's permit # handy (at least here in California).

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 1:28am
post #9 of 12

Having worked for the tax dept it is not necessary if you do not have employees, sole prop or LLC with only one partner, etc. and yes, you can use your SSN for most wholesalers, but do you really want to hand out your SSN? I don't see what the big deal is, it takes 5 minutes to get it online and it's free.

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:46am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiggie78

Having worked for the tax dept it is not necessary if you do not have employees, sole prop or LLC with only one partner, etc. and yes, you can use your SSN for most wholesalers, but do you really want to hand out your SSN? I don't see what the big deal is, it takes 5 minutes to get it online and it's free.

I agree you do not need one, but why would you hand out your SS #? Its easy to get and very handy when buying wholesale.

michgowell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michgowell Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:43am
post #11 of 12

I am able to use my Biz Cert for some wholesalers.

Miag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miag829 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:05am
post #12 of 12

Just stummbled across this post and want to say Thank you for all this valuable/helpful info. I have been trying to find out where and how to start all of this but have not had a clue where to start! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%