I Have Officially Given Up On Satin Ice - Rant

Decorating By moralna Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 4:04pm by moralna

moralna Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 51

I have been using SI for the longest because I have always liked the way it held up in heat, the fact that it could be refriderated, etc., but the last few cakes have been a pain using SI - no matter how much I work it or put shortening it, when I go to cover the cake it gets elephant skin or starts to tear at the top edge of the cake. I have tried everything I can think of to prevent this from happening to no avail. I am now going to try Fondarific.

50 replies
leah_s Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 51

I've been using Fondx and PettinIce lately. Like both, but PettinIce is way cheaper.

moralna Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 51

What is the taste like on each of them?

terrig007 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 51

Glad it isn't just me. I've been having problems as well and thought it could just be me. I am going to try to make my own but now I wonder if I should just try another brand instead.
Leah, can you add flavorings to those two brands?

Kimmers971 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 51

I have no problems with SI and it's affordable. I'm not changing brands.

pattigunter Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 51

I use Fondx - never lets me down and it tastes good too.

Win Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralna

I have been using SI for the longest because I have always liked the way it held up in heat, the fact that it could be refriderated, etc., but the last few cakes have been a pain using SI - no matter how much I work it or put shortening it, when I go to cover the cake it gets elephant skin or starts to tear at the top edge of the cake. I have tried everything I can think of to prevent this from happening to no avail. I am now going to try Fondarific.




There was another thread similar to this not long ago... I think it was started by Kitagirl, but don't quote me on that. ANYWAY, the Satin Ice Rep finally piped in toward the end and commented that they had installed new machines in their factory that did affect a certain number of batches of Satin Ice that were produced during a certain time period. You might have one of those batches... Satin Ice encourages you to contact their Customer Service Dept. with your concerns.

edited for typo


HTH!

kandyc10 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:58pm
post #8 of 51

I think I recieved one of those "Bad Batches". Ya know, Lots of people, me included, agree that the Wilton brand fondant taste awfull, however, as far as behavior it has never, not once let me down. I hate that it taste so bad.

Win Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:01pm
post #9 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandyc10

I think I recieved one of those "Bad Batches". Ya know, Lots of people, me included, agree that the Wilton brand fondant taste awfull, however, as far as behavior it has never, not once let me down. I hate that it taste so bad.




If you have not tried Wilton lately, you should. They "claim" they have not changed their formula, but it has definitely changed in its overall flavor. No more chemical taste, very mild and pleasant.

JaeRodriguez Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:07pm
post #10 of 51

Ditto Win- Wilton has changed pretty drastically in taste, I actually snacked on it while making my brother in law's b-day cake, and I ate it when we were eating the cake! Much better then it used to be!

terrig007 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers971

I have no problems with SI and it's affordable. I'm not changing brands.




I'm glad it works for you and yes, it's the cheapest brand but I just got off the phone with SI and yes, the numbers I read her from my buckets were from the bad batch. I am sending them back and they will send me new buckets. So, it wasn't us, there are a few problems right now.

Win Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:11pm
post #12 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrig007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers971

I have no problems with SI and it's affordable. I'm not changing brands.



I'm glad it works for you and yes, it's the cheapest brand but I just got off the phone with SI and yes, the numbers I read her from my buckets were from the bad batch. I am sending them back and they will send me new buckets. So, it wasn't us, there are a few problems right now.




thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

kandyc10 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:26pm
post #13 of 51

Win, it's funny you say that because the last cake I made was for a friend of the family and I just told them right out, don't eat the outside just peel it off and eat the cake and he said that he did eat some of it and he did not think it tasted bad at all, so thanks for letting me know I will taste it when I get home, LOL.

moralna Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:37pm
post #14 of 51

I am going to have to call SI when I get home. Where did you read the numbers from? And will they do the exchange even if you have used some of it? I need to get a good batch ASAP for a wedding I have coming up next month.

terrig007 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:46pm
post #15 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralna

I am going to have to call SI when I get home. Where did you read the numbers from? And will they do the exchange even if you have used some of it? I need to get a good batch ASAP for a wedding I have coming up next month.




Hi Moralna,
There is a barcode on the side and she said that even though I had used about 1/2 of it (white and ivory) they would send me a full bucket (these were 5 lb buckets) in return. Now, I do have to pay for the shipment to get them back to them but I guess that's okay.
HTH
terri

moralna Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:03pm
post #16 of 51

the thing is that I did not order directly from them - would that make a difference? I have a 20lb white bucket and a few 5lb buckets of light pink, hot pink.

Win Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:02pm
post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralna

the thing is that I did not order directly from them - would that make a difference? I have a 20lb white bucket and a few 5lb buckets of light pink, hot pink.




I don't think that will be a consideration... they are simply interested in making things right and customer satisfaction. The product originated from their facility so it does not matter that you bought it in a retail setting.

terrig007 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:32pm
post #18 of 51

I ordered from GSA. In fact, I don't even think she asked me where I had gotten it from.

moralna Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:39pm
post #19 of 51

okay - great! thanks so much!

sweettreat101 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:20pm
post #20 of 51

I think that's crazy if it is their product that is bad they should be paying the return shipping. When other companies recall products you don't see them asking you to pay to return their products. I would question that especially if you have a large quantity of fondant. Shipping is expensive.

moralna Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:56pm
post #21 of 51

you know, I was thinking the same thing!

terrig007 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:34pm
post #22 of 51

Honestly, I didn't ask. I will try to call them back today or tomorrow. I just figured I would have to pay but I will check it out.

Debbie_Satin2010 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:58am
post #23 of 51

To our valued CUSTOMERS:

It has come to our attention that select users have had some issues using recently, while others have had no problems at all. Over the past few months we have implemented some new machinery to our production line to facilitate the growing demand of Satin Ice . The new machinery proved to be very effective, however, temperature and humidity generated by the internal mechanisms affected a small # of batches. This has all since been rectified and we are confidant that Satin Ice is back to the quality and consistency that so many of you have loved!! Quality is of utmost importance to us and customer satisfaction is our ultimate goal.
We are always available for support and strive to maintain excellence with our customers.

Please refer to our website; www.satinfinefoods.com for updates to our expanding line of fondant, testimonials, classes and to see who is using Satin Ice.
Again, we thank you all for your continued support!! Debbie

Larkin121 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:09am
post #24 of 51

Interesting... I got my bucket a few months ago and the consistency was very off and it's hard to work with... not at all like the bucket before it. I called Satin Ice and was told that just happens with some batches and to use powdered sugar or corn starch to make it work better. I was pretty disappointed that they were acknowledging that "some" batches come out different but were saying that I had to deal with it. Maybe I should call back and ask if my batch is one that matches these numbers. I was actually just about to order some Fondx because of this.

terrig007 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 10:37am
post #25 of 51

Larkin, my buckets are a few months old as well (received them in April or late March I believe). This is frustrating.

moralna Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:26pm
post #26 of 51

What I would like to know is as of when was the situation fixed and if we order some new stuff now how do we know that it's not the old batch?? Are they exchanging the bad batches with the new batches with the retailers that sell their product? What can we trust??

newmansmom2004 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:48pm
post #27 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandyc10

Ya know, Lots of people, me included, agree that the Wilton brand fondant taste awfull, however, as far as behavior it has never, not once let me down. I hate that it taste so bad.




Agree! I love the workability of Wilton, and to make it taste better I mix it with white modeling chocolate (or chocolate clay) and it tastes great.

kandyc10 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:56pm
post #28 of 51

Good idea newmansmom. I will have to try that.

muddpuppy Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:00pm
post #29 of 51

You know, I was thinking the other day as I was watching Cake Boss that I was sure that thier bakery uses Satin Ice, (they have it on display) and then they were complaining about a crappy job one of the employees did on fondanting a set of cakes and the guy they were complaining about blamed the fondant.. so maybe it's a bigger problem than what they're letting on.. I'm just saying... It's interesting to me to see this thread because I used Satin Ice for the first time recently and was sooooo extremely unhappy with it. But I guess I'll give it another shot!

moralna Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:23pm
post #30 of 51

I would like to try Fondarific for a wedding cake I have coming up in August because I heard it tastes great, but I have also heard that it does not hold up well to heat and though the cake will be indoors and I will be transporting the cake in an air conditioned car, it makes me a little nervous.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%