What To Expect During A Interview For Cake Decorating Job?!?

Business By mariyas_babycakes Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 2:52am by mariyas_babycakes

mariyas_babycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariyas_babycakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 8

icon_smile.gif hello my fellow bakers! I have my very first cake decorating interview tomrw at a local grocery store, needless to say am excited but very nervous. I have never worked for a bakery before so to me this is unknown territory. I love cake decorating and even took some Wilton courses at my local michaels crafts store . Can anyone give me some advice or tips .... What should I expect ? Thanks so much xoxo

7 replies
HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 8

Congrats, wishing you success with your interview. Never interviewed for the position, when I did work for a grocery store bakery, the decorator quit and I just started doing the cakes, so no interview as I was already working there. I have read other post on this where they say you might have to do some decorating, border, writing, roses etc. So just go in with confidence and blow them away!

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 8

A couple of years ago I interviewed for a cake decorating position ... after the verbal interview, they gave me a cake and some icing and told me to go for it. I didn't get the job because I was still a little to new to the craft and not quite fast enough, though they liked my portfolio, but it was a great experience just the same! Good luck!!

TartletteTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TartletteTreats Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 8

I interviewed for and got a job at a local grocery store as a cake decorator, but didn't end up taking it because it didn't pay enough. I didn't have any experience at the time, though.

When I went in, I had a quick regular interview, then was asked to decorate a small sheet cake according to the order sheet, including icing, borders and writing. If you have taken a Wilton class you will blow them away, so don't worry. Just stay calm and confident.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 8

just keep in mind grocery stores are all about quantity. So they're not only going to be looking at how the demo cake turns out but also how fast you can do it.

But on the other hand, I work at a grocery store bakery now. Never interviewed because one of the decorators threw her back out and they just needed another set of hands back there fast. But of all the new people I've seen come and go, I have never seen the manager bring an interviewee back to the bakery to show what they can do. It was just always standard interview questions.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 8

The PP are correct in that the thing to remember is that for most bakeries you aren't going to be putting your creativity skills to the test, it's your speed and accuracy that's going to be put to the test. There is the verbal part of the interview and in most cases the practical part of the interview where you're handed a cake and told "decorate" or like the PP mentioned, given an order sheet and told "decorate to specifications"... They're also going to be looking for things like your food handling ability... Aka: Do you wash your hands for 20 seconds before you start or if your state requires it, a hair net/hat, where do you wipe icing that gets on your hands, etc... It's the SIMPLE things in life sometimes...

Most of all, don't stress, the idea is to also find out... Do *I* want to work for this bakery!?!?!? so don't be afraid to ask questions too.

_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:03am
post #7 of 8

I haven't worked at a grocery store but I did work at a high volume bakery. I got the job by interviewing and just being in the right place and time. I did a stage and got the job. She looked at my personality with the team but also skill/etc. I started as a scratch baker and then started decorating a few months later after I proved myself.

They are going to look for speed and accuracy as the pp said. If you have a book, take it, they may want ot see it.

Also, as another pp said...ask some questions for yourself. Do i want to be here? Do I want to work with the people here? It can make a HUGE difference!

mariyas_babycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariyas_babycakes Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:52am
post #8 of 8

I want to thank all of you fellow cakesters thumbs_up.gif for response, I have to say everything you all shared was very useful & very true! Unfortunately The job wasn't for me. Although I did pass my kitchen test; the person I was replacing came back so needless to say the position was longer available icon_rolleyes.gif once again thank you !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%