Make My Buttercream Smooth?

Decorating By Andreasmommy Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 3:27am by CWR41

Andreasmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andreasmommy Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 6

I'm very new and tried to do my first cake this weekend. I baked, filled and crumb coated (with a coco buttercream) on Monday night and wrapped it lightly with clear wrap. Yesterday afternoon I went to frost the cake and was having some trouble. The crumb coat was crunchy so I just did a thick layer over it but I couldn't get the frosting to look smooth. Every time I tried to smooth it out I would see cake at the bottom so I kept adding/subtracting the frosting. In the end the cake was a little smooth but still looked pretty bad.

I've watch the videos and see that they let the frosting sit and then take a Viva towel and smooth it out but I don't see how that works because my frosting gets hard and crumby so I don't know how I can smooth it out without it falling apart. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? This is a lot harder than it looks icon_sad.gif

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 6

What is the recipe you are working with?

When using the viva method you want to do it just after your cake crusts. Usually 5-15 mins after icing the cake depending on how fast your recipes crusts for you.

Andreasmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andreasmommy Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 6

I used a recipe I found on here. It's called "Buttercream Dream" and I just added 3/4 cups of coco to make it chocolate flavored.

So, am I suppose to lightly wrap the cake after the "crumb coating" (if I'm frosting the next day) and after I frost, let it air dry for the 5-15 min before I use the paper towel?

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:19am
post #4 of 6

Have you tried the melva foam roller? It gets the cake icing super smooth. It is my favorite tool.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:36am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreasmommy

I'm very new and tried to do my first cake this weekend. I baked, filled and crumb coated (with a coco buttercream) on Monday night and wrapped it lightly with clear wrap. Yesterday afternoon I went to frost the cake and was having some trouble. The crumb coat was crunchy so I just did a thick layer over it but I couldn't get the frosting to look smooth. Every time I tried to smooth it out I would see cake at the bottom so I kept adding/subtracting the frosting. In the end the cake was a little smooth but still looked pretty bad.

I've watch the videos and see that they let the frosting sit and then take a Viva towel and smooth it out but I don't see how that works because my frosting gets hard and crumby so I don't know how I can smooth it out without it falling apart. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? This is a lot harder than it looks icon_sad.gif

You said that your icing is "hard and crumbly"...are you adding enough liquid? I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe and add melted chocolate for my chocolate buttercream and I always have to add extra milk when I add chocolate. Your icing shouldn't be crumbly. I use a viva paper towel to smooth my icing.

What recipe are you using?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:27am
post #6 of 6

Your buttercream should be smooth right out of the mixer. If it isn't smooth in the bowl to begin with, it's going to be a lot harder to try to fix it once it's on the cake with other methods. Make sure your bowl is filled to the top and the beater/paddle is completely covered or else you'll whip air into it causing it to have too many air bubbles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%