How Do I Get Fondant A True Red Color

Decorating By Monique1 Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 12:58am by leah_s

Monique1 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 7

I normally buy wilton gel colors for my fondant and buttercream but the red never comes out red. I need help changing fondant into a deep red. Do I need to buy a different gel other than Wilton? I need to do it tomorrow so I'm pressed with time. Thank You.

6 replies
Montrealconfections Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 7

Hiya!! The #1 best way is to buy pre-colored red fondant you might say I only need a little but it is still worth the money you can close it up and have it handy for your next projects. Many of us buy the red & black it saves so much time tastes better and the texture is not effected by all the added color. The Americolor is the better food coloring.

coffeecake Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 7

Buy Satin Ice thumbs_up.gif They have a great deep red.
You could also try AmericColor - much much better than Wilton gels.

jewels710 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 7

I also buy my red and black, just to have on hand for use when I need those colors to be strong.

If I HAVE to color it myself, I also vote for Americolor.
Start with Pink, then add in Red as needed...sounds redundant, but it works and you use less red (less icky taste).

Monique1 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 7

Thank You. I really didn't want to have to buy the pre-made fondant but I guess I will to save on time.

KakesbyK Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 7

I also normally buy it pre colored~ but if I have to color myself, I use the wilton color. I use more than what I think it should use, and then I let it set for a couple of days. It does darken if you give it a chance!

leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:58am
post #7 of 7

Definitely buy red and black and keep it on hand. If you just need a little bit, there's always the Duff fondant at Michaels who pretty much always has coupons.

Quote by @%username% on %date%