Any Customers Ever Complain About The Texture Of Cake Bites?

Decorating By Artsygurl Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 5:51am by bohemiagetsajob

Artsygurl Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 15

I've read reviews for bakerella's cake balls/bites and most everyone agrees they're awesome. Though,in my opinion, they have a good flavor but an odd mushy texture. I guess it all depends on opinion. I was just wondering, for anyone out there that sells these, have you ever had a complaint on their texture? Just curious, thanks! thumbs_up.gif

14 replies
KHalstead Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 15

I tried them the way she makes them (recipe not looks.......i LOVE the way hers look) and I thought they were aweful!!! WAYYYYYYYYYYY too sweet and texture to me was like someone chewed up cake and icing together, spit it out, and dipped it in chocolate..totally grossed me out!

However, I LOVED the idea of the cake balls and LOVED the looks of them so I tweaked them for myself.

I take the regular cake, most times it's moist enough to hold together if I pack it.....I crumble up the cake, and will add a bit of either cake filling, flavored coffee creamer, or liquid coffee flavorings/extracts as a binder. Just literally a tsp. or so to hold it together. When I make the balls I don't pack them tight, I like the texture of CAKE and don't want it super packed tight...(I pack it loosely and if they were left at room temp once rolled they would fall apart again), pop them in the freezer for a couple hours at least and then dip in chocolate. My customers LOVE them and I sell quite a few of them around the holidays!

HTH

TexasSugar Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 15

Honestly the typical cake balls that have cake crumbs, icing or some other liquid mushed together don't sound all that appealing to me and I just can't bring myself to making them.

That said, years ago I saw a recipe that used melted chocolate and maybe whipping cream as the binder and they were good. Just wish I could remember where I found the recipe.

TartletteTreats Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 15

I use way less icing in mine. They don't need to be nearly that mushy or sweet.

artscallion Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

...I thought they were aweful!!! WAYYYYYYYYYYY too sweet and texture to me was like someone chewed up cake and icing together, spit it out, and dipped it in chocolate..totally grossed me out!

I agree. Not appealing to me at all. If I were to make them, I'd just bake a nice moist butter cake and go at it with a large melon baller. Then I'd brush them very lightly in Grand Marnier, then dip them in that chocolate shell coating that dries to a crisp, thin shell. Oh yeah... icon_twisted.gif

metria Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 15

it really shouldn't have a mushy texture. the texture should be like moist cake. otherwise, use less binder.

adamsmom Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by resmiff2

I use way less icing in mine. They don't need to be nearly that mushy or sweet.

I agree. I use a lot less icing than what her's calls for. I like to keep the inside of my bites less mushy (if that's the right word to describe it). I only add in ~ 2-3 tbsp in a 9X13 cake size. If you're not sure as to how much you should add, then only add in 1 tbsp at a time until the consitensy is right. I've not had a single person dislike my bites yet (fingers crossed icon_wink.gif ) Hope this helps.

DianeLM Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 15

Yeah, first time I tried the cake and icing mixture my son nailed it when he said they tasted like regurgitated cake!

I don't use any icing or liquid binder at all in my cake truffles. I sprinkle a complementary flavoring, such as liqueur or extract on the cake crumbs and toss that together. Then, I pour in some melted chocolate - not too much. As I stir it, the moisture from the cake causes the chocolate to set up, so it gets a bit firm. Then, I roll them very tightly before dipping. They are like the love child between a fudge brownie and a truffle. Everyone loves them!

Lcubed82 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 15

Diane, those sound delish!! I agree with the "way too mushy" when prepared the way directed on some websites. Last time I added much less icing, and it was much better. Of course, they were served at an outside party on New Years Eve in the mountains, so they were pretty much frozen when we ate them- excellent!

Artsygurl Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:54pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks so much everyone! Great advice, tips and stories of personal experience! My recipe for the cake bites just didn't seem right to me. Now I have a second chance at them. thumbs_up.gif

jenng1482 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:16pm
post #11 of 15

I found that my bites were too mushy too, until . . . I found the secret!!!! I lay out my scraps on a cookie sheet, put them back in the oven for awhile to dry, throw them in the food processor, and then add my binder. Drying the cake allow me to add more flavoring with creating mushy goo. My bites have distinct cake crumbs and are not gooey at all. I hope this helps and possibly encourages other doubters to try them!

tootie0809 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:46am
post #12 of 15

Great tip jenng! Thanks for sharing. I too add very little icing when I make mine, but I'd love to try your method next time I make them.

cakesbycathy Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:02am
post #13 of 15

I always find the threads where people don't like cake bites interesting since EVERY SINGLE PERSON that has ever tried one of mine swears it's like they died and went to chocolate heaven icon_biggrin.gif

I really think it's all in how you make the "dough" so to speak. I take leftover chocolate cake, add some icing or ganache until it's the right consistency and then scoop with my cookie scoop onto a cookie sheet and freeze for a few hours. Dip in chocolate and add sprinkles or chopped nuts or coconut.

If there's too much binder in there then it's definitely going to be too mushy and not taste as good. Not enough and they won't stay together. It's something you have to play around with until you get it right.

motherofgrace Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:16am
post #14 of 15

cake bites are my number one seller at the market, texassugar, I would be willing to send you some of mine. PM me! (I just hope they would make it there in one piece!)

bohemiagetsajob Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:51am
post #15 of 15

The first time I tried making cake bites I used flavored creamer and they were horribly soggy- I used WAY too much. I've since tried with adding a little bit of frosting at a time and I've never had had another complaint. I always mix it together with my hands now as well so I can feel when the mixture is right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%