What Is The Correct Texture Of A Cake Ball/bite/truffle?

Decorating By Artsygurl Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 5:14am by crobbins18

Artsygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Artsygurl Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 16

Last night I made a batch of cake bites and, while I loved the flavor, they were too gooey. I had my brother try them and he said that he also liked the flavor, but couldn't get past the texture. It was a mix between gooey and gritty (for lack of a better word). I made sure I mashed the cake all the way down before rolling into balls but they still were too "yucky."

Cake bite makers out there, what is the texture like of your cake bites? Is it more dry than wet? How much icing do you use? Just enough to bind together or more?

Thanks!

15 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 16

Well, I break up the cake, but I certainly don't mash it.

You know how when you cut a cake and wipe the cake and icing debris off the knife onto the side of the plate? That's the texture.

RosieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosieC Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 16

Hi....I just made my first cakeballs this past wknd and they were out of this world...not gooey at all...what I had was the tops I cut off of two eight inch round cakes...and I probably used two nice big tablespoon fulls of canned chocolate icing to this. I crumbled the cake with a fork and added the icing in with a fork...added a tiny bit of coconut and placed all is fridge probably about an hour to firm up a bit so I could roll them nicely...worked great...so maybe you added a bit too much icing ....just experiment I'd say....my first ones worked like a charm but who knows how a big batch will turn out for me....they were absolutely awesome tasting though...used Ghiradelli's choc to coat them in. Can hardly wait to make more..will add a few nuts next time. It really almost tasted like fudge! I had used a yellow cake mix.

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:49am
post #4 of 16

I had this problem when I first started making them. After trial and error I figured out I was adding way too much icing. In fact, my cakes were so moist that I didn't need the icing as a binder at all. hth

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:05am
post #5 of 16

I don't care for cake balls but yeah when I added liquid they did seem grainy and mushy...if I do it again, I won't use anything but just mushed cake, no icing or liquid.

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:10am
post #6 of 16

I love cake balls! The first ones I made turned out mushy inside and that to me was gross. The second time, I crumbled frozen cake with my fingers into marble-ish sized crumbs, then added a bit of buttercream, then cut the frosting into the cake crumbs with two knives. The texture was much coarser (not mushy at all) and my guests raved about them.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:12am
post #7 of 16

Same here, my first attempt was way too mushy. Second time around, I only mooshed up the cake with just a smidgen of bc. Much firmer and more cake-like. Liked them lots better.

Artsygurl Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 16

When not using much bc, how do you make sure the cake bites are fully flavored? The flavoring of my cake bites heavily rely on the flavor in the icing. Do you flavor your cake more so than your icing?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsygurl

When not using much bc, how do you make sure the cake bites are fully flavored? The flavoring of my cake bites heavily rely on the flavor in the icing. Do you flavor your cake more so than your icing?

I don't mean this to sound snarky in anyway, but any of my cakes taste just fine without ANY frosting. They're very moist too. The last batch of cake balls I made had a very VERY TINY amount of frosting, just enough to bind them. They had a brownie like texture.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:36pm
post #10 of 16

mine are like the texture of firm cookie dough.

And i dont use much binder at all.

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:25pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsygurl

I don't mean this to sound snarky in anyway, but any of my cakes taste just fine without ANY frosting. They're very moist too. The last batch of cake balls I made had a very VERY TINY amount of frosting, just enough to bind them. They had a brownie like texture.

Ditto! Who doesn't like wasc dipped in chocolate?! My wasc is so moist I don't really need anything to bind it but the last batch of cakeballs I made I added a tiny bit of rasberry...hth

I LOVE cake bites!!

Artsygurl Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:23am
post #12 of 16

What I meant was if I were to make mint chocolate cake bites with chocolate cake and mint frosting, the mint flavor is in the Frosting not the cake.

So, if you're not using that much icing, will the cake be flavored enough to be considered "mint?" My cake flavor is very good, there is no problem there.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:33am
post #13 of 16

i have a chocolate mint flavor, and i use able 3 tbsp of mint icing in it

if you want even more or a mint flavor, how abotu flavoring a green drizzle to put on top?

pammylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammylynn Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:11pm
post #14 of 16

I made mint chocolate ones. I melted some Ande's Mint chips and added a bit to the cake before forming balls. Not a lot though because it's way more runny than the icing. They became my new favorite. But, I LOVE Andes Mints. LOL

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:08pm
post #15 of 16

I am with DonnaBug..my cakes are really moist so I do not need a binder.

crobbins18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crobbins18 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:14am
post #16 of 16

I made cake balls for the first time tonight and they were great! My whole family thought the cake was delish (macsmom Tropical Breeze with vanilla coating). The texture was sort of like if you took a slice of bread and rolled it into a ball...it wasn't gritty at all...everything blended well...the cake was moist enough that I didn't need much buttercream, maybe about 3tbsp...I crumbled the cake when warm added the buttercream and it was very easy to roll.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%