Boxed Cakes Vs. Scratch

Decorating By Lizmybit Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 4:36am by 4realLaLa

Lizmybit Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 21

HI there! I have an order for 3 full size sheet cakes for a outdoor casual wedding for about 400 people. The bride want's one White, one Chocolate and one Red velvet. Anyone have any opinions about using boxed cakes or should I make from scratch. I haven't had much luck with scratch sheet cake's in the past. I find when doubling and tripling recipes they don't turn out. This is my first sheet cake so I'm a little nervous and would appreciate any assistance.

20 replies
awatterson Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 21

I use the WASC and haven't had any problems and tons of people saying that it was the best cake that they have ever had. Try making a WASC and taste it and see what you think.

dguerrant Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 21

i use only pilssbury cake mixes and have for the past 10 years. i have never had a problem with them at all. the only times i have HAD to use something different, i did have some issues with the texture, crumbling, and wasn't happy with them.

adamsmom Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 21

I use the Duncan Hines box mixes and add a box of pudding and an extra egg for each box mix used. It makes the cake VERY moist and I've had nothing but compliments on them. Good Luck!

Lizmybit Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 21

awatterson, What's WASC?

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking about adding pudding! Anyone tried the Duncan Hines Red Velvet cake?

awatterson Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 21

White Almond Sour Cream cake. It starts out with a box mix and then you add flour, sugar, water, sour cream, etc to it. I will send you a PM with the link to the gourmet flavors on CC.

Lizmybit Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 21

Thank you!!! also what do you suggest for nut allergies? Again Thank you for all your help! I am quite new at this...and very new to this forum. icon_biggrin.gif

Kimmers971 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 21

In addition to the pudding and extra egg, I use half & half or flavored liquid coffee creamer instead of water. Do not add extra liquid when adding the pudding, just follow the cake box instructions.

DH Red Velvet is very good IMHO.

Good Luck!

hollyml Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 21

I've never gone larger than a half sheet (12x1icon_cool.gif but don't have any trouble doubling/tripling my go-to scratch layer cake recipes. (I have to admit I haven't found a red velvet I like but that's partly because I just haven't tried many.) Are you sure your problems have been with the recipe, or do you need to use a heating core or adjust baking temp or something like that?

I don't have a problem with using doctored mixes in principle -- for home bakers serving their kids, or for supermarket cakes where that is the expectation and the price structure. But TBH, if I were paying money for a quality cake from a pro I would expect scratch baking. Maybe there's a regional difference in play here too, because I'm in a foodie capital (San Francisco Bay Area), but I seriously cannot imagine anyone wanting their wedding cake to be made from a mix.

Regardless, sounds like some test runs are in order. icon_smile.gif

tweeter_bug98 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 21

I have been making the WASC cakes lately and have been very happy with the results. They seem to always be very moist and have a nice texture to them. Good luck!

Tinabarena Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:29pm
post #11 of 21

I just happened across this thread and wondering about those of you who indicated that you add pudding your your cake mixes...can you explain that? Do you just mix the cake as normal and add an extra egg and JUST the powdered pudding mix? Is it instant mix that you use?

I am always crazy worried about my cakes being dry, so anything that would ensure a moist cake.

Would you mind sharing your secret(s)?

BlakesCakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:30pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmybit

Thank you!!! also what do you suggest for nut allergies? Again Thank you for all your help! I am quite new at this...and very new to this forum. icon_biggrin.gif

I use Duncan Hines mix and add a box of a complimentary flavor of instant pudding mix for each cake mix when I make my WASC. With DH Red Velvet, I've added either milk chocolate or white chocolate pudding mix.

I refuse to do any cake where someone claims "allergies"--to nuts, to soy, to gluten, to whey, to dairy, to ANYTHING. I have no way of avoiding cross contamination from items in my home, and many of my ingredients have the disclaimer of "processed in a facility where nuts are also processed" on them.

If the nut allergy is serious, a drop of peanut oil on a spatula could be deadly and I'm not about to be blamed for anyone's illness.................... I tell ANYONE who breathes about allergies to contact a local pediatric allergist and ask if they have any info on local bakers who can handle such a request.

HTH
Rae

aundron Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #13 of 21

Go to the thread/link that I posted below. MACSMOM has the second post in that thread, look at the bottom of her post and click on the link (her blog). It has LOTS of recipes and they are great!! I tried her carrot cake one and there was a TON of batter AND it was delicious!! HTH

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=614554

Tinabarena Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:55pm
post #14 of 21

Ohhh...it does! Thank you!

Larkin121 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:09pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmybit

I have a friend who is deathly allergic go peanuts and an acquaintance with a small child also deathly allergic to nuts.... you cannot mess around with this. I did a quick check online regarding cake mixes and only a few are nut free... but to know for sure that they are made in a peanut free facility, you have to call the company. I can almost guarantee the chocolate mixes are not... chocolate is frequently processed in factories where nuts are also processed. My friend cannot have hershey's, nestle, ghiradelli, and a large list of other chocolates. She can have Guittard, though.

Even making it from scratch isn't safe unless you know the ingredients you are using are from a peanut free facility and you don't have any peanuts in your kitchen and haven't been cooking/baking things with peanuts in them. In my friends case, she knows her allergy well enough to know that a scratch cake made in my kitchen, which doesn't have peanuts but does sometimes have other nuts, is ok for her tolerance level. But some are more sensitive than that.

If you aren't sure, I wouldn't ever tell someone that you can make a nut allergy safe cake.

adamsmom Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabarena

I just happened across this thread and wondering about those of you who indicated that you add pudding your your cake mixes...can you explain that? Do you just mix the cake as normal and add an extra egg and JUST the powdered pudding mix? Is it instant mix that you use?

I am always crazy worried about my cakes being dry, so anything that would ensure a moist cake.

Would you mind sharing your secret(s)?

I use the instant pudding mixes for my cakes and just add it in with my cake mix and instead of the standard 3 eggs that DH says to add, I add in 4. I have also used pop in place of the water and that adds flavor as well. I was so surprised at how good the cake tasted after adding in the pudding and egg. I also freeze my cakes after I take them out of the oven and let them cool. There are opposing thoughts on this, but it's really nice to be able to freeze a cake a week ahead and not have to do all the baking at once. Hope this helps! icon_lol.gif

DeeDelightful Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:09pm
post #17 of 21

definitely try the WASC variations. I wasn't thrilled about the flavor of the Duncan Hines Red Velvet, but it was very moist. MacMom's Red Velvet WASC cake is delicious, but makes a huge amount of batter (too much for my Kitchenaid mixer bowl). But you need 3 sheetcakes for 400 people, you will probably need that much Red Velvet cake. I think you and the guests will be pleased with the cakes. If you prefer to bake scratch, I would use the WASC recipe until you have tested out lots of scratch recipes first.

FlourPots Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:09pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundron

Go to the thread/link that I posted below. MACSMOM has the second post in that thread, look at the bottom of her post and click on the link (her blog). It has LOTS of recipes and they are great!! I tried her carrot cake one and there was a TON of batter AND it was delicious!! HTH

That recipe link doesn't work anymore??

aundron Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:21pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Quote:
Originally Posted by aundron

That recipe link doesn't work anymore??

I just went to that thread and the link in MACSMOM post is working. The thread is called "HELP! GOURMET FLAVORS???"

Try this link to her recipes: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

FlourPots Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:27pm
post #20 of 21

That's so strange...when I click it, it says:
Not Found
The requested URL was not found on this server.

Edited to add...when I log into CC via Internet Explorer, instead of AOL, the link works fine.

4realLaLa Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:36am
post #21 of 21

People with nut allergies already know not to go eating cake all willy-nilly. I make scratch cakes but some people are so sensitive that even though there are no nuts in the cake, cannot eat cakes if you have EVER had nuts in your mixer . I had a neighbor whose son had this problem. At any rate, if you don't usually have much success with scratch cakes you might not want to experiment with your client's cakes. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%