Retail Bakeries - Do You Offer Imbc ?

Business By KKristy Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 6:09pm by _christina_

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 2

Okay, I've taken Safeserv and even talked to 3 different people at our local health department (...and received 3 different answers, lol). I want to be able to offer IMBC in my small retail bakery (on cakes, cupcakes,etc)...we all know it is not great served straight from the cold pastry case (cold hardened butter), but it's fantastic at room temp.
During my last phone call to the HD today, they told me that I would have to make a batch and have it tested by a independent food lab for analysis...concerned with the available water content and ph ???? Of course I don't want anyone to become sick....I'm even making this with pasteurized, powdered egg whites now.
How does your bakery deal with this?

1 reply
_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 2

Wow, this is the second post about SMBC/IMBC and the HD! Can I ask where you are?

Weird since I live in California and thought they were the super strict ones but we have no restrictions on it. I am considered a low risk caterer here.

I use IMBC exclusively for buttercream and the bakery I worked at also used it. We never had issues. We could have cupcakes/cakes sitting out but they had to be covered or we had to store them in the refrigerator.

If you look at that other post there were some suggestions about labs and I think school, even. That may be of some help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%