How Was This Design Done?

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 5:07pm by tcakes65

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 19

I am designing a wedding cake inspired by the attached picture. Is the scrollwork fondant? Royal icing? How was this technique done over satin ribbon without staining or causing marks? Any advice would be appreciated.
LL

18 replies
cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 19

seems strange to put that sort of embellishment over ribbon. looks like chocolate to me.

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 19

Looks like piped chocolate or RI. Not sure if either one would cause marks, but you could test and see. I would guess chocolate might because of the cocoa butter, but RI might not because it's grease free.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 19

It looks like chocolate but it could be RI with a larger tip also. cool design.

MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 19

The ribbon may be floral ribbon which is water proof and will resist stains

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 19

Chocolate was my guess too. And I would agree it was probably floral ribbon that won't stain.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 19

Beautiful design, in the floral industry this is known as paper ribbon.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 19

My first thought it was cut with chocolate fondant and a cricut.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by txnonnie

My first thought it was cut with chocolate fondant and a .

From a distance, I thought so too, but they're all random shapes and you can clearly see the piped scroll lines that overlap... not flat at all like cut with a cricut. Beautiful handwork!

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:11pm
post #10 of 19

Hi, my thoughts are that it is royal icing in brown as it holds its shape very well. Unfortunately dark colours on white icing are very hard as they stain so if you make a mistake it shows. A way round this is to pipe the design first in white in a much smaller tube then go over in the darker RI. Or another way is to put the design on tracing paper and scratch the design through with a scribe onto the fondant once the fondant has dried well. it will leave behind the design and then you can use it as a guide to pipe straight on with the darker colour. It looks like normal satin ribbon. I've pipped dots over ribbon before once it is attached to the cake
happy decorating - its a lovely design and colour icon_smile.gif

ArtsyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtsyLady Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:23pm
post #11 of 19

I agree with it being florist ribbon. We use that kind in funeral work usually and it's interesting to see it on a cake. It's pretty! As for the icing, do you think it's possible it could have been done off the cake and then applied like an applique? I can't really see it in detail on my screen, but maybe they could have piped it onto a freezer paper and then let it dry before peeling it off and sticking it on? It's a beautiful cake at any rate.

tcakes65 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:38pm
post #12 of 19

Thanks, everyone! I'm not sure how I'm going to approach this yet. I better figure it out soon as the wedding is next Saturday, the 17th. icon_biggrin.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:58pm
post #13 of 19

The design is a buttercream base with satin ribbon and the piping was done in ganache. This cake is featured in the gallery of the bakery that did my wedding cake and they advertise that ALL of their cakes are done in bc, they don't use fondant, and the only colors they will use in their frosting is the natural off white, pink (achieved by mixing in raspberry juice) and chocolate ganache.

So there ya go!

tcakes65 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:15pm
post #14 of 19

Rose_N_Crantz thank you so much for the information! I've never piped with ganache so I'll need to practice that first. icon_lol.gif The designer did an amazing job on the piping.

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:09pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegroove

seems strange to put that sort of embellishment over ribbon. looks like chocolate to me.

I was thinking the same thing! me personally, i wanna be able to eat all the chocolate! LOL

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:21pm
post #16 of 19

I'll bet it's thin fondant and/or gumpaste cut with scroll cutters. The August newsletter from Sugardelites.com showed several photos that one individual made using some of their scroll cutters. Go to their website and see if you can pull up their newsletter. Or, I can e-mail my copy to you.

Good luck :>)

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:47pm
post #17 of 19

I've read on here that people spray their satin ribbon with vegetable spray or cooking oil before placing it on the cake, so any other oil stains won't show up on the ribbon. It will just be slightly darker than the original color.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:01pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

The design is a buttercream base with satin ribbon and the piping was done in ganache. This cake is featured in the gallery of the bakery that did my wedding cake and they advertise that ALL of their cakes are done in bc, they don't use fondant, and the only colors they will use in their frosting is the natural off white, pink (achieved by mixing in raspberry juice) and chocolate ganache.

So there ya go!

I'm going with this advice, seeing how she had her cake made from the same lady that made the cake pictured.

I am wondering if anybody bothers to read all the posts before they give input. It is amazing how many times I see things like this or the same thing said over and over and over.

tcakes65 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:07pm
post #19 of 19

This cake is thankfully for my niece. I'm going to strongly encourage her not to take the design over the ribbon. She's decided to incorporate some additional design elements. Therefore, I'm hoping to modify the design to where it will work eaiser for me. I'm doing this cake out of town so the less complicated, the better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%