Help! How Much Do I Charge?

Decorating By sugarbabys Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 10:16pm by sugarbabys

sugarbabys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbabys Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 7

Okay. So I managed to screw up the pricing for my cookies by setting the prices too low, so this time I am turning to the experts before I quote. I've just received a request for a smaller version of the attached cake with 7 dozen matching cupcakes. Any ideas on what I should charge for something like this. I'm in the midwest.
LL

6 replies
CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 7

Some questions:

2 tier, stacked, 6" and a 9" ???

Covered in fondant, or in BC?
With fondant accents?

Cupcakes iced with BC and fondant accents?
Or BC with fondant cover and design?

What flavours cake aand cupcakes?

And as long as you're happy with what *you* charge, it's all good

thumbs_up.gif

sugarbabys Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 7

The cake is to be one 9" tier covered in fondant with fondant accents. The cupcakes will be BC with fondant accents. No specialty flavors. Just chocolate and vanilla.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 7

I charge $2.25/serv. for individual 4" high cakes covered in fondant with fondant accents (I'm in northeastern Ohio in a small town) 1.50/bc +.50/fondant +.25/fondant accents.

so for a 9" round that is 30 servings I would charge $67.50 for the cupcakes I charge $1.00 for a swirl of bc and+ $.25/each for small fondant accent. Soooo the cupcakes would be $1.25 each X's 84 =$105. I would quote 172.50 for the whole thing.

sugarbabys Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:29am
post #5 of 7

$172 is what I was thinking as well. Thanks!

QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:53pm
post #6 of 7

I'm in central Iowa near a metropolitan area and will give you my pricing for comparison. For the 9" round cake (32 servings according to my chart), covered in fondant with fondant accents I'd charge $3.50 per serving, for $112. For the cupcakes with a swirl of BC and a fondant accent, I'd charge $2 each. 7 dozen would be $168. The total for the cake and the cupcakes would be $280. My prices are on the low end in comparison to my competitors in this area.

sugarbabys Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 7

Apparently $172 was too steep for her. She decided not to order. Oh well...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%