Cake Construction Help Please!!

Decorating By miriamshapiro Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 1:37am by miriamshapiro

miriamshapiro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriamshapiro Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:49am
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I'm making a hot air balloon cake. The bottom is a full sheet cake, and on top is a cake from the ball cake pan that will be the hot air balloon (1/2 of it will be shown, in "popout"). The cake is a carrot cake and is quite heavy. So I am thinking to treat it as a tiered cake, which means all the dowels and cake board and etc. But I want to put fondant on the balloon. How do I put the
fondant, place the tier and then put the dowel through the entire cake to hold it together without making a hole in the top fondant?? Is there a trick? Can't cover it up with a flower or anything. on the balloon itself will be writing. Please help!! Thanks!

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:15am
post #2 of 4

Make a hole in the bottom of the cake board that the balloon will be sitting on. Cut the dowel so it's a little shorter than the height of the bottom tier and the balloon and put it into the bottom tier, then line it up so that the dowel goes into the hole you made in the board.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:15am
post #3 of 4

If I'm ready this correctly you could also just cover the hole up with a little circle of fondant. Like the circle at the end of a beach ball where all the colors come together to cover the seams.

miriamshapiro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriamshapiro Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:37am
post #4 of 4

Good ideas! Texas_Rose, genius! icon_smile.gif Thank you~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%