Help! Ri On Cookies Is Drying Badly

Baking By cownsj Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 3:30pm by cownsj

cownsj Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:39am
post #1 of 19

This is the first time I'm making cookies with RI and decorating them. A friend asked me to make some for her daughters bridal shower. I thinned the RI and flooded the open area of the cookies. They leveled perfectly smooth and looked beautiful. Then as they begin to dry they are uneven, looking like someone was playing in the RI. It's very hot and humid here and I had them on the table to dry. Would that make the difference? I've tried putting them in the fridge in case that's it, but don't know yet if these are drying any better. (The top and bottom of the icing have nonpareils on it). I'm about to panic over these because I have no idea how to make it better and if I can salvage what I have done in any way. PLEASE HELP!
LL

18 replies
LindaF144a Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:52am
post #2 of 19

Don't put RI in the fridge, it will only make it worse. The RI will melt from the humidity in the fridge.

I'm hoping others with more experience will chime in. Personally I have not come across this yet, but I am a rookie when it comes to decorating with RI.

But it might help to post what ingredients are in your RI too.

ALVARGA Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 19

Humiditiy is your enemy. I use fondant for this reason and add accents with royal icing. It works great every time. Ckeck my pics. I have the same cookie decorated with fondant. If you have time try it. I think you will be much happier with it.

cheatize Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 19

Are they completedly flooded with no gaps before you move on to the next one?
How long is each cookie taking you to flood?

It looks like either you are not flooding completely or you are going back and working on them more and they are crusted but not solidly dry yet. However, I'm an amateur so perhaps someone else has other suggestions.

cownsj Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 19

My cookies are completely flooded, and looked gorgeous. I was going to stop after the first 3, just to see how they went, but went ahead and did half my cookies, and now I have this mess. They taste so much better with the RI than the fondant, but I guess I'll have to switch over and redo them. Can I scrape these cookies and just redo the same cookies with fondant? This sets me back so far. And I REALLY am hoping I don't have to rebake in this heat.

Thanks for your responses, everyone

cownsj Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALVARGA

Humiditiy is your enemy. I use fondant for this reason and add accents with royal icing. It works great every time. Ckeck my pics. I have the same cookie decorated with fondant. If you have time try it. I think you will be much happier with it.

Yours came out goreous. Care to come rescue my poor cookies?

cownsj Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

But it might help to post what ingredients are in your RI too.

My ingredients are just meringue powder, conf. sugar and lukewarm water.

The ones I put in the fridge after sitting out for bit got holes in the icing, but not the mess I had on the ones in the photo. I filled them with more icing this morning and am waiting for them to setup more, out of the fridge. They aren't nearly as smooth as they should be, but..... They looked so perfect when I first filled them too.

I emailed a photo to my friend and she thinks they look great, even with the imperfections. I'll finish these up, I guess. If they don't look good enough to me, or they don't set hard enough for bagging, I'll restart and cover with fondant. Since I already outlined all of them and filled the top part with the nonpariels, I can't save any of it anyway. Let's hope I don't have to turn the oven on for this. It's already 89 out and going up to 100 today. It's 80 in the house. I'll rebake tomorrow if necessary. At least I won't have to worry about drying time for the fondant. UGH. Thankfully it's only 30 cookies.

My hat's off to all you talented people who do these all the time. So much work for such a little item. And this is a basic design compared to what I see all of you doing.

bonniebakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 19

I wonder if the RI you used for flooding was too thin....and that caused the the unevenness....

cownsj Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 19

bonniebakes, thank you so much. That might just be it. I had no idea you could thin it too much. But I had to make a 2nd batch of icing and I'm having only the most minor of problems with it. You've inspired me enough that I just rolled out some of my extra dough to make another batch of cookies, and hopefully I still have enough to redo the first half that I made with the first batch of RI.

I was very shocked after putting on icing that was perfect, only to come back a little while later and find the mess I had.

bonniebakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:34pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

bonniebakes, thank you so much. That might just be it. I had no idea you could thin it too much. But I had to make a 2nd batch of icing and I'm having only the most minor of problems with it. You've inspired me enough that I just rolled out some of my extra dough to make another batch of cookies, and hopefully I still have enough to redo the first half that I made with the first batch of RI.

I was very shocked after putting on icing that was perfect, only to come back a little while later and find the mess I had.

yes, sometimes RI is finicky.... don't give up! We've all had experiences where we think something is going to turn out great and then...UGH!! I've had more of those than I can count!

Montrealconfections Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:22pm
post #11 of 19

The icing being too thin is the only thing that I can see it being, the icing does not need to be extremely watery to level off you can test it in the bowl run a fork through it and wait 10 seconds to see if it heals.

cownsj Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:51am
post #12 of 19

Montrealconfections, thank you for that tip. I have to make another batch of RI, so I'll try that and hope I get it right.

I didn't think I'd have so much trouble with the cookies, even with it being my first time doing them. I've worked with RI before, and baked cookies, but never done these. Boy, there's always lots to keep learning. And I'm glad for so much help from everyone who is helping me to keep learning.

cownsj Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:15am
post #13 of 19

Ok, now this is really bizarre. I made another batch of RI. I did my first cookie, but wasn't sure if I had made it too thin, like the first batch last night. So I added a tiny bit more sugar. Now it was too thick. No problem, I'll add more water. Still won't flood, so I add more water, and more water and more water and more water..... you get the picture. Now it's the consistency of melted marshmallow. You know, if you catch your marshmallow on fire how the inside is that nice thin gooey stuff, so yummy. Still won't flood. And I realize that it's getting fluffier in the bowl. What started out with just enough in the bottom of the bowl is now filling the 5 quart bowl about 2/3rds. And yet, it still won't flood the cookie. I haven't a clue what this is all about, except that cookie Gods are tellin me to leave cookies to the professionals..... lol Well, after an hour of playing with this, I finally had enough sense to toss it and start over. This batch is currently mixing, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I really thought I'd be done by now.

bonniebakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:40pm
post #14 of 19

cownsj - when you say "it won't flood" what do you mean exactly?

Are you expecting the RI to "ooze" together without you helping it when it's at "flooding" consistency? If so, that's not exactly correct... you'll still have to help it along to "connect." I use concentric circles and a toothpick to help fill in gaps.

Have you read Antonia74's article on baking and decorating cookies? It's great, and might help a first-timer to understand the consistency and process - her cookies are truly masterpieces!

Antonia74s article
http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.html

oh - here's another thread with lots of good info...
icing tips/info
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-588155.html

cownsj Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:39pm
post #15 of 19

Oh bonniebakes, you have no idea the mess I had last night..... lol (I can laugh now because I finally got it right, and not just right, but perfect) I tossed 2 batches of RI last night, spent 2 1/2 hours getting just one batch right. UGH. But I think it was worth it. I think what I was doing was putting the mixer on too high and it was whipping it instead of just mixing it. What I meant by not flooding, is that it wanted to stay in peaks, never level itself one bit. Even using a wet spatula it didn't come out great. But...... I perservered, got a batch that seemed right, did 2 cookies, then waited overnight to see if they still looked right, and ta da..............

Good thing this is a good friend these are for..... lol But hey, I've loved the learning experience. Yesterday I baked 2 more trays of cookies, made the xtra RI and this is how I ended up. (btw, I will read those links after I get this posted. Thank you again)

And thank you everyone, I could not have had ANY success without your help. I was getting to full panic mode.
LL

Montrealconfections Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:51pm
post #16 of 19

Wow great job! Thanks for posting.

cownsj Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:07pm
post #17 of 19

Thank you so much Montrealconfections. In the past, RI was the easiest to make and use. But when you get into this type of use, it's an entirely different ballgame, which clearly I learned the hard way. I have a new found respect for RI. And I couldn't have gotten here without your help.

Not all my cookies have this perfect finish, but I fixed them up the best I could and only a few aren't "perfect". If I had the time I'd make more and get them all perfect, but I just don't have the time left to count of them setting up completely for me to bag them. I'll know better next time, if there is a next time...... But I am pleased with the overall end result. I hope they like them.

bonniebakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:13pm
post #18 of 19

they are beautiful! I'm sure your friends will love them!!

cownsj Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:30pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks so much bonniebakes. And thanks so much, again, for all your help. Now I'm excited to get them to her. Yesterday I was dreading that. icon_biggrin.gif In fact, I'm going to email her a few photos now so she can see them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%