Omg.......i Couldn't Believe How I Was Acting!!!!

Decorating By thatslifeca Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 3:51am by thatslifeca

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:38pm
post #31 of 47

Holly WOW they do look similar. I will have to find her for sure and ask her concent also. Thanks Indydebi and robyndmy. I couldn't find a way to send her an email on her web site....I'll try and find her out here. If anyone see's her out here.....please please please ask her to send me a pm. I would hate to do that cake without consent. Professional Deplomacy is a big factor for me.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:40pm
post #32 of 47

Ok, really laughing now...she askes for this cake at $300-$400 and then is totally cool as a cucumber when you come back with a price of $2400! Oh yeah, she knew what she was doing..she was just hoping YOU didn't! LOL!

Cat

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

Holly WOW they do look similar. I will have to find her for sure and ask her concent also. Thanks Indydebi and robyndmy. I couldn't find a way to send her an email on her web site....I'll try and find her out here. If anyone see's her out here.....please please please ask her to send me a pm. I would hate to do that cake without consent. Professional Deplomacy is a big factor for me.

Her email is: [email protected]

Btw, just wanted to say that through my amateur Web-sleuthing skills, it appears that Edna created her cake in 2009, whereas your friend did hers this year. icon_smile.gif But, I'm not a professional sleuth!

thatslifeca Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:10pm
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Ok, really laughing now...she askes for this cake at $300-$400 and then is totally cool as a cucumber when you come back with a price of $2400! Oh yeah, she knew what she was doing..she was just hoping YOU didn't! LOL!

Cat

I don't think it was the bride. Bride seemed to know exactly what she wanted and how much it was going to cost. The mother on the other hand turned out to be a little different shall we say.

thatslifeca Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:15pm
post #35 of 47

emrldsky thank you for giving me edna's email address. I have send her an email requesting permission to copy her cake, and I also got in touch with the bride regarding this cake and how much it looked like Edna's. I also explained that the bakery here has given consent, but without Edna's consent I will NOT do the cake. They are just to similar for me to say....."oh well, Edna lives in the States". I don't work that way. I guess if Edna says "no" then I have some drawing to do, because it's the scroll work and draping and all that bride is in love with. It's a darn good thing this wedding isn't till Dec. LOL icon_smile.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:31am
post #36 of 47
Quote:

emrldsky thank you for giving me edna's email address. I have send her an email requesting permission to copy her cake, and I also got in touch with the bride regarding this cake and how much it looked like Edna's. I also explained that the bakery here has given consent, but without Edna's consent I will NOT do the cake. They are just to similar for me to say....."oh well, Edna lives in the States". I don't work that way. I guess if Edna says "no" then I have some drawing to do, because it's the scroll work and draping and all that bride is in love with. It's a darn good thing this wedding isn't till Dec. LOL icon_smile.gif

Edna is a sweetie, so I'd guess she'd not only give permission, but tips as well.

Good luck!!!!

Annso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annso Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:05am
post #37 of 47
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyndmy

Bahaha, I laughed when I saw the picture... wowza.

Totally curious, if you don't mind. What kind of a price did you guys end up settling? Did they move much in their expectations?

Well what I did first was excuse myself and called the original caker of that cake because I know her well. I asked if she had any inquires about that design. She told me that she has ever only made that cake once, because of the price. I asked her politely if she would mind if I recreated that cake....I felt it was her design and only right that I ask her consent. The original designer told me what she would charge for the cake and gave her blessings. I went back to the bride and her mom and quoted the exact same price. $12.00 per serving icon_eek.gif .....I expected that it would be their turn to laugh or argue. Bride took out her cheque book and left a 50% deposit icon_surprised.gif .

Now this bride has class! it was great that she did not argue!

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:08am
post #38 of 47

Sorry to ask, but how much did you charge her? (if you don't mind) Good luck with the cake and I would have laughed too!

ArtsyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtsyLady Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:26am
post #39 of 47

Hahahaha! I showed the cake to my husband and asked him how much he thought it was worth and he said at least $2,000 then I read him the story and he just started laughing. It's hysterical how people underestimate what actually goes into a cake. Still, it looks like a fun cake to do. I would absolutely LOVE to get more wedding work. Have fun with it!

thatslifeca Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:37am
post #40 of 47

I have a strange feeling that this bride is sparing no expense for this wedding. The venue she is using in Toronto Canada is one of the most elegant and not cheap from what I hear. God save me if my daughter wants a wedding like this one. She keeps telling me she's running off to get married and me and pop will get the news via text. :0
Told my hubby how I went into a laughing fit when the mother wanted to pay 3-4 hundred bucks for that cake. For the first time my poor old hubby just stood there......I guess he couldn't think of a thing to say. Then he add "This isn't one of your rescue missions is it?" I have a bad habit of.....oh you poor dear, of course I will make you a cake.

thatslifeca Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:41am
post #41 of 47

Yeahhhh!!! Edna was kind of enough to give her consent for me to do the cake. Ok, now the planning begins. Thanks you all. Especial to those who helped me get in touch with edna.

moscakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moscakes5 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:13pm
post #42 of 47

First congrats on getting Edna's permission I think it is very classy of you to ask. Secondly I am still laughing and probably will continue for the rest of this day because that was a funny story. Thanks so much for sharing it!

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:16pm
post #43 of 47

I just saw the picture and I'm appalled at the gall of people when it comes to these things. I always tell people that it's not so much the cake they are paying for, but the time involved to do the little intricacies that so many people want. It's the same with my husband's job as a professional DJ. They call him incessantly telling him how he's the best DJ and he HAS to be the one to play their events but when he gives the price, they change. I tell him these people pay top $ for the venue so why is it so hard to pay the person who is gonna keep people dancing and having a good time all night? I don't understand. My husband gets mad at me sometimes because I work on cakes all night and he thinks I'm undercharging for them. He's there and sees the amount of time and effort put into it so he knows the value, but people always want to try to devalue what you do as a cake artist like we just bake a cake and Voila!! It doesn't happen that way.
That bride seems like she already knew what that cake should cost and didn't argue. I wouldn't ask for that type of cake if my budget was only $300-400. Most serious brides do their research on EVERYTHING.

thatslifeca Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:04pm
post #44 of 47

I think that all of us cake decorators understand were your coming from phoxphire1. It's like I bake the cake and
then go to sleep. When I wake up the decorator fairies have been working magic on the cake. Yeah....it's only a cake after all. My A## it's only a cake!!! I don't have problems with brides.....it's there mothers and mother in laws to be that I have a problem with. I love this line " when I got married 40yrs ago, it's only cost $50 to do my cake". Response I usally give..."Yes, and the house you bought only cost $5000". Times are a changing and brides what the WOW factor.....well that costs money. My belief......You get what you paid for. icon_smile.gif

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:16pm
post #45 of 47

Times are a changing and brides what the WOW factor.....well that costs money. My belief......You get what you paid for. icon_smile.gif[/quote]

Amen, sister!!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:20pm
post #46 of 47
Quote:

Times are a changing and brides what the WOW factor.....well that costs money. My belief......You get what you paid for. icon_smile.gif

I am so jealous that I never thought of that line! AWESOME comeback! thumbs_up.gif

thatslifeca Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:51am
post #47 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Times are a changing and brides what the WOW factor.....well that costs money. My belief......You get what you paid for. icon_smile.gif

I am so jealous that I never thought of that line! AWESOME comeback! thumbs_up.gif

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks idnydebi....that's a compliment...considering that I have used a few of yours lately.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%