Omg.......i Couldn't Believe How I Was Acting!!!!

Decorating By thatslifeca Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 3:51am by thatslifeca

thatslifeca Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:38am
post #1 of 47

I had a consult today for an up coming wedding cake. After the usually niceties I asked the bride what type of cake she was interested in having for her wedding. Bride kindly hands me a pic and the mother of the bride is telling me that she has heard wonderful things about my cakes. How I do amazing work and that she got my name from another bride (which she wouldn't give me the name of). You see I don't do that many cakes anymore I'm suppose to be retired (as if LOL). I know enjoy being a hobby baker, do a cake here and there. Well this cake is so detailed I even had to take another look. I asked how many they want serve, response 200. I asked if they had any idea how much it would cost to do a cake like the one in the pic. Mothers response $3-4 hundred. I started to laugh, I couldn't stop it. Thinking OMG I can't stop icon_surprised.gif . I just couldn't stop laughing. I for the life of me have never been so unprofesional in my life icon_redface.gif . I just kept apologizing, and laughing at the same time. Finally, I got myself under control and served them some cake and coffee. I think I apologized a thousand times. In the end, we agreed on a price, but omg I felt so bad. I just needed to let that out. thanks for listening or should I say reading.

46 replies
catlharper Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:42am
post #2 of 47

People never cease to shock the hell out of me so I would have either laughed or just stood there with my mouth open. So she thought she was getting an intricate cake for 200 for about 1.50 a slice? Did you tell her to times it by at least 4? LOL...I'm telling ya...they shock the hell out of me!

4realLaLa Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:44am
post #3 of 47

How embarassing for you and for them. Alot of time people have no idea of how much time and effort goes into a cake. I'm glad it worked out.

yummy Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:52am
post #4 of 47

I want to laugh too. Post a picture of the cake they showed you if you can, please.

thatslifeca Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:08am
post #5 of 47

If you go to it's listed there. It's listed under wedding cakes.....4th cake. I believe it's the 3rd row...last pic. I mean the cake is easy enough to do...but I still can't believe how I acted. Soooo ashamed.icon_sad.gif

dsilvest Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:32am
post #6 of 47

No wonder you were laughing. It is a large time consuming cake.

noahsmummy Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:33am
post #7 of 47

hahahahahaha i just looked at the picture... $300 were they serious? did they expect a different response than hystertics? lol

_christina_ Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:01am
post #8 of 47

Ummm...did they want a fake cake with only 2 tiers?? Yeah...If it makes you feel any better I laughed when I saw the pic, too!!

LuluSweetArt Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:45am
post #9 of 47

I laughed. And then I wanted to cry. How can people think that something that large and intricate and obviously time consuming, is only worth $300 bucks? What is wrong with people? It makes me feel so undervalued as a person and as an artist. I'm glad you were able to work it out, but I don't blame you one bit for laughing.

robyndmy Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:15am
post #10 of 47

Bahaha, I laughed when I saw the picture... wowza.

Totally curious, if you don't mind. What kind of a price did you guys end up settling? Did they move much in their expectations?

mamawrobin Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:20am
post #11 of 47

I looked at the cake. I find it hard to believe that anyone would expect to get a cake like that for $300 or $400 icon_eek.gif Especially to feed 200 people. icon_lol.gif No wonder you laughed like you did. icon_lol.gif

Bfisher2 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:36am
post #12 of 47

I think they are not dumb or uneducated.... the bride can read and im sure has friends whom are married...She knows that cake wont be cheap.... I think they are playing country dumb to see if they can get a deal.... I would have laughed out loud and maybe even called some staff over to have a look and laugh with me...*snicker*

thatslifeca Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:20am
post #13 of 47
Originally Posted by robyndmy

Bahaha, I laughed when I saw the picture... wowza.

Totally curious, if you don't mind. What kind of a price did you guys end up settling? Did they move much in their expectations?

Well what I did first was excuse myself and called the original caker of that cake because I know her well. I asked if she had any inquires about that design. She told me that she has ever only made that cake once, because of the price. I asked her politely if she would mind if I recreated that cake....I felt it was her design and only right that I ask her consent. The original designer told me what she would charge for the cake and gave her blessings. I went back to the bride and her mom and quoted the exact same price. $12.00 per serving icon_eek.gif .....I expected that it would be their turn to laugh or argue. Bride took out her cheque book and left a 50% deposit icon_surprised.gif .

sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:23am
post #14 of 47

Is this the cake you are talking about? If so I would be rolling on the floor. LOL. My goodness I wouldn't even want to try that one.

thatslifeca Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:35am
post #15 of 47

Yup sweettreat101 that would be the one icon_smile.gif.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:37am
post #16 of 47

OMG, first, that cake is stunning!!! and second, 300-400!!! are you kidding me??? For that enormous of a cake the actual cake alone, minus the frosting and decoration, might cost that. I actually gasped when I saw the picture!

sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:37am
post #17 of 47

Oh H@ll no! I hope you make bank on that one. LOL!

brincess_b Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:53am
post #18 of 47

it might not have been the most professional response, but i bet it got home the 'not a chance in hell' message a lot better than politely saying 'im afraid to serve that many people, in that style, you are looking at at least $XXX' would have!

sullymel13 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:53am
post #19 of 47

that cake looks almost exactly like one that tonedna made for a competition (so close, I almost thought they stole her picture!) I think it took her weeks to get it perfect! Getting that ready in time for a wedding by yourself would be crazy! Glad you could settle on a reasonable price!

tsal Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:01am
post #20 of 47

Wow!!!! I don't blame you for laughing. What a cake!

cakesbymark Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:56am
post #21 of 47

laughter is the best medicine thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:56am
post #22 of 47

sully, I had the same thought: "That's EDNA's cake!" icon_surprised.gif

But Holy Buttercream, Batman, I wouldn't do just the top 3 tiers for a crappy 300 bucks!

And I agree with brincess: I"m sitting here applauding your laughter. yeah, you might have felt bad, but some people just need to be hit right between the eyes. Message sent ... message RECEIVED!!!!!

Here's an "optional" response: "$300? ..... well, that might cover the delivery and the sales tax! Now let's see how much the CAKE will cost you." icon_rolleyes.gif

tesso Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:01pm
post #23 of 47

I am right there with you. I too have laughed and had to appologize while laughing. dont blame you a bit. woman wanted a simple wedding cake maybe two tier is all.. budget 20 dollars. icon_lol.gif you try keeping a straight face !! It was kinda sad really when i realized she was serious. icon_sad.gif

Irish245 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:11pm
post #24 of 47

I did that with a job once. Office Manager in charge of 17 employees......offered me $8.50/hr......I just busted out laughing...and said, "You're kidding, right?".....kind of explains why they have an ad in the paper for employees every week....but didn't know that at the time.....took another job that was offered to me at $15.00/hr....this was about 15 years ago....

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:14pm
post #25 of 47

I too thought it was a photo of Edna's cake, but then I counted the tiers and Edna's has two more.

indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:17pm
post #26 of 47
Originally Posted by Irish245

I did that with a job once. Office Manager in charge of 17 employees......offered me $8.50/hr......I just busted out laughing...and said, "You're kidding, right?".....

I had a job interview for a "Administrative Ass't/Receptionist". I learned to call them "Slash Jobs" because if there was a slash in the title, then it meant they wanted the skills of the first part and planned to use the pay scale of the 2nd part.

So in this interview, I knew inside of 6 minutes that I didn't want this job, so thought "why not?". I said, "You're described the receptionist job requirements, but what are the Admin. Ass'ts job duties?" He looked sheepish and actually said, "Well, we CALL it that because they will be assisting the administration." I started gathering my things and said, "My daughter's friend works in a surgeon's office after school but that doesn't make her an assistant surgeon. Thanks for your time." And walked out.

Like you, I kept seeing their ad in the paper for weeks.

leah_s Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:45pm
post #27 of 47

I've done exactly. The. Same. Thing. Re: the laughing. Sometimes you just can't control it. Especially when it's WELL deserved.

PS the cake is STUNNING.

thatslifeca Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 2:58pm
post #28 of 47

Thank you all for the understanding. I woke up this morning still in shock of my behaviour icon_sad.gif I called the bride and apoligized once again. She said she understood and that her mom was still living in 1960's and apolized for her mom. I told her that I understood and that it was still no way to behave. Bride was really understanding and explained that I made her sweet 16 birthday cake and it was the best, and that's why she track me down and asked if I would do her wedding cake. I don't know who Edna is, but I have seen her cakes on her web site.....that woman can sure design a cake. I love cake decoraters, we are a special breed. The cake in the photo is from a baker here in Kitchener Ontario where I live. We use to work together many moons ago. But if the cake looks like Edna's I should figure out a way to contact her and ask her if I can do the cake (I will need consent from her also if the cake looks like her cake). I don't like to recreate someone else's design without consent. If you folks know how to contact her I would appreciate it. Maybe if you talk to her ask her to send me a pm or message or something.
ok the old person is rambling....sorry. THANK ALL for understanding.

robyndmy Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:31pm
post #29 of 47

thatslifeca, Edna is frequently on this site, sharing her wisdom. I believe it's toedna, you can probably PM her or flag her down in a post. icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:38pm
post #30 of 47
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

I don't know who Edna is, but I have seen her cakes on her web site.....that woman can sure design a cake.

Here's the link to her Design Me A Cake website with a photo of the cake we're all thinking of:

Quote by @%username% on %date%