Black Fondant

Decorating By momklein Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 8:05am by sweettreat101

momklein Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momklein Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:32am
post #1 of 7

Please provide how to make black fondant. How much black food coloring will I need?

6 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:39am
post #2 of 7

Do you make your own fondant? I start out with melting the marshmallows, adding in the black gell coloring after they are melted along with the flavoring and then add in the cocoa powder to make it chocolate and darker. Then continue adding powdered sugar to finish the fondant. Once you have it at this stage you can see if you need to add more black or not and can knead it in. Use very little after the first addition since black dries out quickly. But it's easier to start out with chocolate fondant first and go to black from there than add a bunch of black color to white fondant.

Cat

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:50am
post #3 of 7

I just buy black Satin Ice. Sorry I couldn't help more.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:29am
post #4 of 7

Honestly, I have a cake coming up next week that requires quite a lot of black embellishments and I'll probably go buy some fonderific. With dark or brilliant colors that is sometimes the best, if not least expensive way to go.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:40am
post #5 of 7

Save your sanity if you can and buy black! That being said, if you are making 3D things, I wouldn't buy Duff fondant. It doesn't set, not even with Tylose. At least that's been my experience...

HTH icon_smile.gif

alleykat1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleykat1 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:25am
post #6 of 7

skirt I've noticed that too about the duff fondant...maybe It takes more than overnight for it to harden...

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:05am
post #7 of 7

I use chocolate fondant and add black. This way you don't have to add alot of black gel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%