How To Mold White Gloved Hands?

Decorating By chanielisalevy Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 11:17am by tesso

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:23am
post #1 of 7

I have a new corporate account to make the same cake every month. It's a nursing care agency with a white glove theme. They want the molded cupped hands to look like they are wearing gloves and a butterfly coming out of the hands. What's the best way to do these? RKT? I hate RKT! I can't mold them well and it never looks like I want it to! Should I make my own mold out of something, but what would I use for the mold? AAArrrggg! I think I bit off more than I can mold! Any ideas ?

6 replies
kaciealexa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaciealexa Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:30am
post #2 of 7

how about using some gloves, the kind we wear in surgery, fill them with melted chocolate, then as it hardens, mold it into the shape you want...

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:46am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaciealexa

how about using some gloves, the kind we wear in surgery, fill them with melted chocolate, then as it hardens, mold it into the shape you want...

That's a great idea! Although I'd do it with food service gloves so they are food safe...not the loose plastic ones but the more fitted, non-powdered ones.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:22am
post #4 of 7

i ran into this problem for the last few weeks, finally ended up making it out of MMF. it is not painted in the pics.. i am making sure it is dry first.

this post covers a few different tries.. the glove didnt work..which really made me sad. it was such a brilliant idea.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-685852.html

chanielisalevy Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:20am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaciealexa

you're my new best friend! That's a brilliant idea! Should I use white chocolate clay or actually pour in chocolate? I'll try your idea...I need to get this right because they want this cake for their monthly meetings and the're paying top dollar for it to look right but I've never done molded hands before! This site is so so great! Many thanks to you!

chanielisalevy Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:29am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

i ran into this problem for the last few weeks, finally ended up making it out of MMF. it is not painted in the pics.. i am making sure it is dry first.

this post covers a few different tries.. the glove didnt work..which really made me sad. it was such a brilliant idea.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-685852.html

I read your post - I'm confused - I thought the glove did work. What did you finally do? ou molded it out of MMF? How did you do this and how did you get the details? Yours looks perfect! HELP!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:17am
post #7 of 7

I tried RKT first..with no luck. Then the glove with no luck. The gloves didnt give the right form, the material stretched too much/ or not enough. I couldnt get it right with the gloves.

So I ended up making a simple skelton structure. I used a long dowel rod as the middle finger that rod also supported the palm and wrist and will be long enough to support the hand in the cake. I used 18 gauge wire wrapped around the dowel rod and then cut them to length for the other fingers. I used 1 month old MMF I had extra from another cake. I heated the MMF in the microwave, made it pliable then made the dowel finger first, then rolled each finger and slipped them onto the wire fingers (heat the wires with a lighter first so that the MMF will stay attached) then I added the MMF from the fingers down in sections until I got the look I wanted. I used my gumpaste tools to add the details. I reheated the MMF a few times in small quantities, some pieces very hot to smooth out the areas where the fingers, palm and wrist would seam up. I also had a small bowl of water that I would dip my finger in to smooth some areas like around the finger base.

I know these instructions sound hard, but it took about 30 minutes to make the skeltal structure and about an hour to make the hand itself. It was my first attempt using MMF, so it should be easier the second time. icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck and if you try the RKT or the gloves and get them to work, please share how you did it !! thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%