Need Urgent Help With Gluten-Free 3D Cake

Baking By swakeleyscakes Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 9:26pm by swakeleyscakes

swakeleyscakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 4

I have a tried and tested chocolate gluten-free recipe that works very well when making cupcakes but seems to be a disaster translated to a 9" square tin (Sunk in the middle and grainy - the whole thing fell apart).

I need to make a 3D car cake and need a gluten-free chocolate cake recipe that would be suitable for carving. Any help would be really appreciated - It's due Saturday morning and I'm already starting to panic.

3 replies
elliespartycake Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 4

Below is my go to Choc. GF cake recipe. I have not sculpted with it but it seems dense enough. I think many GF recipes tend to be more "crumbly" that regular cake.
I've used a chocolate cake recipe from Roben Ryberg's book "You Won't Believe It's Gluten Free". It's a terrific cook book.

This recipe uses Potato Starch Flour (aka potato starch).

For an 8" single layer: 1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1 cup potato starch
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp xanthan gum

Beat oil and sugar, beat in eggs, Mix in mixer for a couple of minutes until light and thick. Add remaining ingredients. Beat until the batter is blended and begins to thicken. Pour into prepared baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees approx. 40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

Note: Roben Ryberg includes the recipe broken down for all wedding cake sized tiers, from 6 inches to 14 inches.

Check out your local library, they'll probably have this book. If not it's available on Amazon.

swakeleyscakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the recipe. I have been using Doves Farm GF self-raising flour that says it contains a flour blend including potato and includes Xantham gum as I didn't want to buy all the things separately but I guess I need to invest. Not sure where I can get potato starch in the uk - will have a look online and for the book too.

swakeleyscakes Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 4

Many thanks elliespartycake! I tried your recipe (found all the ingredients) and it worked really well. The use of a flower nail (which I had forgotten previously doh!) made things come out a lot better. See car cake photo. The clients were very pleased with how it tasted as well as how it looked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%