How Do I Get Red Frosting Without The Yucky Aftertaste?

Decorating By JanessaJo Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 12:14am by tesso

JanessaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanessaJo Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making a Cars cake for my sons 3rd birthday party and need some ideas on how to get the deep red color without making the frosting taste horrible. I have the Wiltons no taste red coloring but I have used it before and could taste the color.

any tips and tricks are welcome!

thanks =)

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 8

Try either Americolor Super Red gel paste or chefmaster brand.You will get a true red without the aftertaste or using the whole bottle.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 8

I have used the Wilton No Taste Red also and it tasted bitter to me. At Christmas I did buy a tub of Wilton's red buttercream icing. It did taste okay. However, this time of year good luck finding some. Maybe there is another brand of food coloring someoned could suggest or even premade icing for red (and black.)

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 8

I use Wilton No Taste red.

The biggest mistake people make is putting too much red coloring. It is hard to explain but you will see what I mean if you practice with a small amount of icing first. Try it the day before.

Your icing does not have to be red. Put enough red color to get just past the pink color to a red undertone. Smooth some icing on the back of a white plate and let it sit for a couple of hours, overnight is better. You will see that the icing turns much redder after it sits on the cake for a while.

JanessaJo Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 8

thanks everyone!

JanessaJo Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 8

ok I have used over half a bottle of wiltons no taste red and its been 3 hours and it is still pink!

im not sure what to do at this point

amarilloyankee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amarilloyankee Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 8

I only have 2 cakes...but the stewie one I used cherry jello and it is great red color and tasted awesome too!! icon_smile.gif

btw I am a total newbie but that trick worked for me

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:14am
post #8 of 8

if you have an airbrush, then airbrush them. if the cars are small, you could always make "paint" using wilton red and something like everclear, and hand paint them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%