Sugar Free Recipes Please!!! 911!

Baking By luvbuttercream Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 8:46pm by Denny4321

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 6

I had a lady request a diabetic cake for this weekend I am not sure if there are any good tried and true recipes. I see a lot out there but they are all so different some using applesauce some using juice others using sweeteners or a blend of both a sweetener and sugar which then is not sugar free. Any help would be great. Maybe some one here has made some great recipes that they would be willing to share. I need a cake and a frosting recipe. Thank you all in advance.

5 replies
Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 6

I was asked to make a cake for a diabetic once. I never used a special recipe. Instead I used the ones that I liked and substituted with a diabetic friendly sweetener according to what the directions say. The one I used is called Whey Low and for that product you measure exactly the same amount as you would with sugar.
I know that Whey Low also make a powdered sugar, but it was not available in the store and I did not have time so make a special order. I guess you can use a SMBC or IMBC since those recipes use granulated sugar and it is easier to substitute.
I would not consider the cake I made diabetic friendly just because it had no sugar. White flour is also bad, but I guess that is up to the person asking for the cake to decide. It's hard to make cake healthy!

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:07am
post #3 of 6

I made this cake a few weeks ago. It was very good but a little dry. I think next time I'm going to add some sour cream.

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/brotherly-love.html

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:54am
post #4 of 6

Thank you both for the ideas and recipes!

Denny4321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denny4321 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:36am
post #5 of 6

I recently made a gluten-free sugar-free chocolate cake. It was so delicious--not dry and not too dense--and no one could tell that it was any different than a regular sugary chocolate cake. I've included two recipe links. The first I only used the buttercream section. The second recipe is what I used for the cake. I'm sure that you can take any scratch recipe that calls for regular flour and just substitue Maltitol for the sugar. It bakes the same as regular sugar and doesn't have a wierd aftertaste like some substitutes. If you cannot find Maltitol locally, www26.netrition.com is a good source. I really liked this icing recipe. I refrigerated the cake after icing it and after it firmed, pulled it out and could make impressions for dots and letters. Very yummy! Just remember that too much maltitol consumption at once can cause gas and have a laxative effect. Another good sugar substitute is the Ideal brand xylitol. It does well for the cake recipe put perhaps not too good for icing. The Maltitol powder is so much like powdered sugar that I'm going to experiment by making "white" buttercream with it.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Sugar-Free-Chocolate-Cake-With-Chocolate-Buttercream-Icing-195758

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/One-Bowl-Gluten-Free-Chocolate-Cake-209764

icon_biggrin.gif

Denny4321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denny4321 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 6

Here is the sugar-free cake. The dots and lettering were regular buttercream since I already had it on hand but it was easily picked off. I will be experimenting with white SF buttercream using powdered maltitol soon. Never could make the SF pudding/cream cheese icing work for me and didn't like the taste and texture. The icing on this cake hardened nicely in the refrigerator for using imprints. Just talking about this cake makes me want to make another! It was so surprisingly delicious!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1717204

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%