What Am I Missing With This Cake? Ideas,advice??

Decorating By Donnabugg Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 11:25pm by jemchina

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 19

Hi all! This is a practice cake I did over the weekend. I still have to put a ribbon around it but there's something I"m just not liking about it?? Maybe it looks too "amateurish" to me which I certainly am so only practice will help that but what do ya'll think of it?? Any idea's or advice? Thanks as always!
LL

18 replies
iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 19

I don't think it looks amateurish, and the ribbons will certainly help . Maybe a center to the flowers would be the finishing touch...

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 19

I love your colors and you did a wonderful job with the finish!

Not saying it needs anything but just throwing some ideas to you if you believe it needs more.
Centers on the flowers...additional scrolling at the stems...random beads or dragees between flowers...

Jeana77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeana77 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 19

I agree with iamcakin. A center to each flower would really give it that finished look. What about a white fondant circle in the middle of each flower to give it more of a 2D effect?

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 19

I think it looks great. The only thing that I see is that the brown might need something to break it up. That my opinion. My husband does say that I tend to keep working until it looks overdone though. LOL. icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 19

not necessarily "needed" but I think that cake would look FABULOUS if you did the same brushed embroidery on the brown, only in white....like a reverse of the brown on the white on the center tier....and I also like the idea of a center on the flowers....I think the center would be nice as a series of small dots verses one BIG center dot on the flowers too.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 19

Ooooo... I don't know what color ribbon you are going to use, but I can picture white scrolls all over the blank brown canvas.

How about a base board too? How are you going to get it off of your counter?

Donnabugg Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Ooooo... I don't know what color ribbon you are going to use, but I can picture white scrolls all over the blank brown canvas.

How about a base board too? How are you going to get it off of your counter?

There just dummy cakes...that would be too funny and just like me to forget a cake board underneath! lol

Such greats ideas...duh..flower centers! I knew I was missing something..thanks ya'll!

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

not necessarily "needed" but I think that cake would look FABULOUS if you did the same brushed embroidery on the brown, only in white....like a reverse of the brown on the white on the center tier....and I also like the idea of a center on the flowers....I think the center would be nice as a series of small dots verses one BIG center dot on the flowers too.

Iwas thinking the same thing.

ILOVE the brushed embrodery- and even just swirls up top would add a little, give it more dimension- but like gilson, I tend to overdo.. LOL

But I agree, it doesnt look amertureish at all

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:44pm
post #10 of 19

Love the cake. I agree with the flower centers.

Would you consider more of the white gumpaste flowers on the chocolate part? Maybe a dot of chocolate in them or some brown on the throat of the petals? The 3-D, 2-D contrast might be nice with the simple color palette.

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:48pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnabugg

Hi all! This is a practice cake I did over the weekend. I still have to put a ribbon around it but there's something I"m just not liking about it?? Maybe it looks too "amateurish" to me which I certainly am so only practice will help that but what do ya'll think of it?? Any idea's or advice? Thanks as always!

WOW!!! gorgeous!!! I LOVE IT...love the embroidery on the second tier.
ummm if you see my photos...there is a 3 tier brown cake with white flowers and white fondant vines on it...perhaps something that like (not that busy) would bring the brown tiers to life!
plus a SQUARE cake board covered in brown or ivory fondant...with some flowers or petals here and there...or maybe the same embroidery design!!!

it looks GREAT BEAUTIFUL JOB!!!!

Donnabugg Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:51pm
post #12 of 19

Great suggestions! I'm not going into town for ribbon until Friday so I will post pictures when it's done. Thanks!

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:46am
post #13 of 19

I like it. You did a great job. Maybe a touch of red in the center of the flowers.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:50am
post #14 of 19

I like it. You did a great job. Maybe a touch of red in the center of the flowers.

Irish_Sue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish_Sue Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:53pm
post #15 of 19

It looks so good!! I think it needs only very little more to finish it off - ribbon in an ivory/cream colour on the the two chocolate tiers and maybe a flower topper like a cluster of roses/daisies in an ivory/cream to balance the middle tier but beyond that I personally think it needs nothing else.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:10am
post #16 of 19

I would do 3 ivory Horizontal stripes on the brown, do centers or any 3D effect on the flowers on the ivory, and after that maybe add another white flower somewhere on the opposite side on the upper tier if needed.

Donnabugg Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 11:06pm
post #17 of 19

put some ribbon on and made some gumpaste flowers...looks better but still not what I was going for...oh well, that's why we practice huh? Thanks for all the ideas!
LL

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 11:24pm
post #18 of 19

Great job! I totally agree with the brushed embroidery on the brown layers.

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 11:25pm
post #19 of 19

The cake looks very elegant to me.

I like the suggestions that others made, but once you added the ribbon and extra flowers it looks great.

A suggestion I have... would have been to maybe add some texture to the brown tiers versus color. For example maybe a diamond pattern like the one acheived by those clear plastic presses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%