Black Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By Krissygirl Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 8:58pm by sberryp

Krissygirl Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know how to get mmf black without it cracking and falling apart? I've used liquid food coloring and the paste. Nothing seems to work. I always come out with a crack filled hard piece of unusable fondant.

Help!

6 replies
AnotherCreation Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 7

i almost always just buy black fondant for the very same reason. If you must make it then I would suggest making a chocolate mmf and then add your coloring.

sherrycanary62 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 7

add gel color when the marshmallow is in the melted stage BEFORE you add the powdered sugar, it takes a fair bit to achieve black, after ps is all kneaded in, let rest the color will develop darker as it rests.

If it is coming how hard and cracked you are adding to much ps, you don't necessarily have to use all the ps the recipe calls for, temperatures and humidity play a factor in to how much, easier to leave it a little soft in the beginning, you can always add more ps later.

Krissygirl Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you for the tips. There aren't any stores near by that sell black fondant, so I have to make it. I'll try adding the black before the ps. I hope it works icon_smile.gif

Thanks!!!

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 7

Chocolate is the best bet when doing black--unless you don't want to use chocolate. For accents, I'll just color some modeling chocolate using the candy colors.

I just made some black MMF recently and will buy it next time. The tip that I used was one on here--I combined some old colored MMF that I didn't need and got a yucky grayish-brown color and then colored it black. I still needed a lot of black and a lot of kneading and crisco-ing. lol. You don't live near a Michaels? You can use a coupon to try the Duff fondant in black. Just a thought.

revel Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 7

"add gel color when the marshmallow is in the melted stage BEFORE you add the powdered sugar, it takes a fair bit to achieve black, after ps is all kneaded in, let rest the color will develop darker as it rests."

This works excellent! I use one full container of wiltons black for one recipe of mmf.

sberryp Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 7

I used wilton gel colors and it worked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%