Mini Cupcake Prices

Decorating By LaurM83 Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 5:46am by sweetiesbykim

LaurM83 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 4

Hey there, I'm brand new, starting doing cupcakes out of my home as a side job / hobby, since I love it so much! I am working on the pricing right now and have come to a good range for the regular size cupcakes.

I am stuck now on the mini ones. At the grocery store, they're $3 for a dozen. I am doing some for a local business' first anniversary, my first big exposure, and while I want to give them a good price, I don't want to set the bar too low.

I had thought something like $1 originally, but that sounds and looks like a LOT for such a tiny mouthful icon_biggrin.gif So I was kind of thinking $15 - $18 for 2 dozen minis....am I way off here? What do YOU charge? And do you base it off how complicated they are? IE just the icing swirl or added decorations, etc.

THANKS!

3 replies
matthewkyrankelly Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 4

You may want to figure out your pricing, charge them that amount, and write a discount on the receipt to get the exposure.

My thinking is this: you have a price and more complicated=more expensive. That said $1.50 for a mini w/ BC and sprinkles seems like a lot. The "best" cupcake places are getting about $3 for a regular cupcake.

Do your research. You might be pricing yourself out of the market before you are in it.

teacheramanda Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:25am
post #3 of 4

I just did mini cupcakes for a bridal shower with buttercream icing, some with small flower decorations on top and some with the couple's initials. I charged $1 each. I agree though with the PP if you charge $1 each and then offer a discount for them since you are starting out, That still leaves you the leeway to charge $1 each in the future when people are totally impressed by them at this event! icon_smile.gif Good luck!

sweetiesbykim Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:46am
post #4 of 4

Mine are $1 each/$12 per dozen, but I have a 2 dozen minimum per flavor for the mini's. I don't want to mix up one of my cake batters for only 12 mini's, especially a more expensive Premium flavor. I've learned that people will order a "buffet" of items and flavors if I don't state a minimum order, and that goes for cookies, cake truffles, chocolates, etc. HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%